Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Some things are much better on the new site. The ability to paste in SQL code without it reformatting it is really good.

I'm wondering if some optimisation is needed to some of the queries/indexes as things, like clicking "Active Threads", take much longer to load than it did on the old site.

• Speaking of website issues, is the bug where you have to unsubscribe from email notifications to a topic every time you reply going to be fixed?

• Yes I agree this website is slowing down. Not just performance but activity as well.

On another topic of slow...here was this last weekends goods from the smoker.

• Beef short ribs
    • baby back ribs
    • Pork Belly burnt ends
    • Bacon explosion

And look at the smoke ring on those short ribs....

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Yes I agree this website is slowing down. Not just performance but activity as well.

<li style="list-style-type: none;">

• Beef short ribs

• baby back ribs

• Pork Belly burnt ends

• Bacon explosion

That's a great reason to slow things up.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • ZZartin wrote:

Speaking of website issues, is the bug where you have to unsubscribe from email notifications to a topic every time you reply going to be fixed?

I personally don't consider that to be a bug and hope they don't change that.  It is a clickable selection to turn off at the bottom of the submittal window.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jonathan AC Roberts wrote:

Some things are much better on the new site. The ability to paste in SQL code without it reformatting it is really good.

That has been a blessing.  The ability to right click and "paste" images from the clipboard is also a really big help.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

Thom A wrote:

Can we do that with some other recent decisions now please..? ??

Yes please!

This forum is really quiet now. I know everybody's working hard fixing the issues and I don't want to put the boot in further, but I must admit I come here less myself nowadays because of how long pages take to load, how difficult it is to navigate now, etc.

Heh... I've lost five pair of boots... 2 during pre-release testing and 3 after the release.

Still and as much as I complain about the new SSC, I went to StackOverflow last night just because I'd not been there in a long while.  It reminded me of why I've not been there in a long while.  For me, the community of people on SSC makes it worth while to stick with compared to SO and other sites.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

For me, the community of people on SSC makes it worth while to stick with compared to SO and other sites.

Yep.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden wrote:

ZZartin wrote:

Speaking of website issues, is the bug where you have to unsubscribe from email notifications to a topic every time you reply going to be fixed?

I personally don't consider that to be a bug and hope they don't change that.  It is a clickable selection to turn off at the bottom of the submittal window.

I would like to have a configurable default so that you could decide whether to have it automatically checked/unchecked.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen wrote:

I would like to have a configurable default so that you could decide whether to have it automatically checked/unchecked.

Drew

There is. On the Edit Profile screen there's a checkbox for "Get email notifications of new messages by default". Just uncheck that and then any new topics (that you aren't subscribed to) will have the Notify checkbox unticked by default.

Just gave it a go, and for topics I'm already subscribed to (well this one) it remained ticked, but on a new topic it was unticked; so appears to work (as intended?).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  Thom A.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• drew.allen wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

ZZartin wrote:

Drew

Now THAT would be nice!

My postings have been delayed today.  I see that Thom posted that it actually is a feature that I hadn't looked into or... gettin' old, maybe I just forgot that the functionality existed because I only had to do it once.  More coffee please. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Sean Lange wrote:

Yes I agree this website is slowing down. Not just performance but activity as well.

• Beef short ribs

• baby back ribs

• Pork Belly burnt ends

• Bacon explosion

Now that, sir, is a thing of true beauty. Nicely done.

• Thom A wrote:

drew.allen wrote:

Drew

There is. On the Edit Profile screen there's a checkbox for "Get email notifications of new messages by default". Just uncheck that and then any new topics (that you aren't subscribed to) will have the Notify checkbox unticked by default.

Just gave it a go, and for topics I'm already subscribed to (well this one) it remained ticked, but on a new topic it was unticked; so appears to work (as intended?).

The problem with that is that it still doesn't consistently remember your last selected option for a particular topic.  That to me is the bug.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  ZZartin.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by  ZZartin.
  • Jeff Moden wrote:

ZZartin wrote:

This matches the functionality of the old site. The setting can be toggled in your profile, or when you post.

• ZZartin wrote:

The problem with that is that it still doesn't consistently remember your last selected option for a particular topic.  That to me is the bug.

We have never allowed this for a topic and likely wouldn't. That's a confusing behavior that would catch many people be surprise.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,901 through 63,915 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply