Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange wrote:

And in other news....I have taken the plunge. After almost 25 years as a developer I have just accepted a new position as a full time DBA. Even more crazy for me is that I have been at the same job for almost 14 years. Excited and nervous all at the same time.

Congrats, hope you enjoy it.

• Notifications should be working again. I caught this as I was heading out on holiday and filed the issue.

What I got back over the last fewย  days (while gone), was this:

"PR to update Project NAMI to the latest version (#2073) needed patching (as previously) to correctly translate the FIND_IN_SET MySQL statement to the SQL Server PATINDEX equivalent"

This is one reason we have been hesitant to customize core functionality in places. If I read the notes, this should have been added in a "patches" folder that automatically changes the MySQL code to SQL Server equivalents, but the last time someone made a patch, they neglected to do that. It was added this time, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I've added my own note for the next status meeting that this is an item that should be checked.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Just a test here... did anyone get an email notification of this post?

Yep. It was down, but now it's working.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Sean Lange wrote:

And in other news....I have taken the plunge. After almost 25 years as a developer I have just accepted a new position as a full time DBA. Even more crazy for me is that I have been at the same job for almost 14 years. Excited and nervous all at the same time.

Congrats!

Check the backups day 1.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Notifications should be working again. I caught this as I was heading out on holiday and filed the issue.

What I got back over the last fewย  days (while gone), was this:

"PR to update Project NAMI to the latest version (#2073) needed patching (as previously) to correctly translate the FIND_IN_SET MySQL statement to the SQL Server PATINDEX equivalent"

This is one reason we have been hesitant to customize core functionality in places. If I read the notes, this should have been added in a "patches" folder that automatically changes the MySQL code to SQL Server equivalents, but the last time someone made a patch, they neglected to do that. It was added this time, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I've added my own note for the next status meeting that this is an item that should be checked.

It IS working for me again and, from the feedback from other folks, appears to be working for them, as well!ย  I've also started to get notifications from other threads, as well!ย  YAAAAYYYY!!!ย  Tell the devs THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart!ย  I appreciate the fix!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Sean Lange wrote:

Congrats!

Check the backups day 1.

Did you mean "test the backups on day 1"?

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• This is how much I have paid attention to the alerts, prior to today, the last alert I received was way back on 2022-01-07. I just thought this thread was taking a vacation.

• >>>>Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

>>>Grant Fritchey wrote:

>>Sean Lange wrote:

>And in other news....I have taken the plunge. After almost 25 years as a developer I have just accepted a new position as a full time DBA. Even more crazy for me is that I have been at the same job for almost 14 years. Excited and nervous all at the same time.

>>Congrats!

>>Check the backups day 1.

>>>Did you mean "test the backups on day 1"?

Why not both? Make sure the backups are being taken AND that the backups actually work.

Quote is not working very well for me today.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin wrote:

>>>>Eirikur Eiriksson wrote: >>>Grant Fritchey wrote:

>>Sean Lange wrote:

>And in other news....I have taken the plunge. After almost 25 years as a developer I have just accepted a new position as a full time DBA. Even more crazy for me is that I have been at the same job for almost 14 years. Excited and nervous all at the same time.

>>Congrats!

>>Check the backups day 1. >>>Did you mean "test the backups on day 1"?

Why not both? Make sure the backups are being taken AND that the backups actually work.

ROFLMAO!!!!! This is exactly why they hired me. They don't even currently have backups, let alone test them. All of their databases are managed solely by their hosting company. They are a pretty good sized company that has been around a long time but never had anybody to manage their databases at all. It is going to be an uphill battle. I did some consulting for them a few months ago and found over 400 heaps on their main production database. They need a LOT of help. I am going to be not only the dba but also need to help them with their many performance issues.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 โ€“ Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

>>Sean Lange wrote:

>>Congrats!

ROFLMAO!!!!! This is exactly why they hired me. They don't even currently have backups, let alone test them. All of their databases are managed solely by their hosting company. They are a pretty good sized company that has been around a long time but never had anybody to manage their databases at all. It is going to be an uphill battle. I did some consulting for them a few months ago and found over 400 heaps on their main production database. They need a LOT of help. I am going to be not only the dba but also need to help them with their many performance issues.

That's going to be in turns, really fun, and utterly horrifying.

• Sean Lange wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

>>Sean Lange wrote:

>>Congrats!

Take care of the backups and the tables will take care of them selfs ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Sean Lange wrote:

Brandie Tarvin wrote:

>>Sean Lange wrote:

>>Congrats!

That's going to be in turns, really fun, and utterly horrifying.

Or really frustrating if you don't get the support to actually make the needed changes.

• Sean Lange wrote:

First of all, they have no issues with performance.ย  There is no performance to have issues with. ๐Ÿ˜€

Quite literally, I think you're going to have a "Heap" of fun. ๐Ÿ˜€

As for it being an "uphill battle"?ย  As Ed Wagner might say, it's a target rich environment and you'll have the advantage of shooting downhill the whole time. ๐Ÿ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• FYI: limiting subscriptions: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/breaking-change-feb-9-2022

This only affects these accounts:

Site Owners | 64666

Gail Shaw | 20499

Ninja's_RGR'us | 10781

Grant Fritchey | 10001

Jeff Moden | 10001

Lynn Pettis | 9615

Steve Jones | 8871

Phil Parkin | 7460

Sean Lange | 6738

Jack Corbett | 5250

Perry Whittle | 5085

Jason Brimhall | 4749

Luis Cazares | 4724

Scott Pletcher | 4513

John Mitchell | 4425

Orlando Colamatteo | 4311

Johan Bijnens | 4085

Chris Morris | 3959

Eirikur Eiriksson | 3942

Jeffrey Williams | 3714

RBarry Young | 3001

Stewart Campbell | 2875

Sergiy Floka | 2828

Sue H | 2827

Tom Thomson | 2751

The SQL Guru | 2745

Gianluca Sartori | 2520

Thom Andrews | 2413

Brandie Tarvin | 2345

George Sibbald | 2284

Elliottย  Whitlow | 2200

Brian Kelley | 2166

Gabriel Dunn | 2117

Hopefully this cleans up a couple issues. It also doesn't alert you fi someone spams an old thread. I am considering locking threads after some amount of time. Maybe 1 year?

• I feel like that list is proof that Grant and Jeff are the same person, as they have exactly the same amount of subscriptions.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 65,851 through 65,865 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply