Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A wrote:

I feel like that list is proof that Grant and Jeff are the same person, as they have exactly the same amount of subscriptions.

10001? That would be 17 in decimal 😉

😎

• Just a thought, closing old inactive would be a good thing, after a year most activities are either spam or should be posted as a new thread.

😎

• Wow - did not expect to see my account in that list.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• So I can't use QUOTE in IE and the website isn't readable to me (nor will it let me log in) using Edge or Chrome... Fun stuff.

Anyway... Steve Jones wrote:

>>FYI: limiting subscriptions: https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/breaking-change-feb-9-2022

I don't recall subscribing to over two thousand topics. Is this a function of replying to threads and it auto-subscribing for responses on those threads?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Yep, when you reply, there's a checkbox below:

2022-02-09 11_45_26-Are the posted questions getting worse_ – SQLServerCentral Forums — Mozilla Fire

For most of us, we've accumulated subcriptions by answering questions. This is an attempt to reduce that number.

• Just as a straw poll, what if we had threads older than 1 year - latest post date <= dateadd (year, -1, getdate) - closed when someone tries to post and a message listed?

It somewhat forces new threads if someone has a legitimate question, which I don't love, but I don't think this happens enough to worry.

Thoughts?

• Thom A wrote:

I feel like that list is proof that Grant and Jeff are the same person, as they have exactly the same amount of subscriptions.

No.

You've got that all wrong. Jeff just has to follow around behind me correcting what I post.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

No.

You've got that all wrong. Jeff just has to follow around behind me correcting what I post.

you sure its not the other way around?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Just as a straw poll, what if we had threads older than 1 year - latest post date <= dateadd (year, -1, getdate) - closed when someone tries to post and a message listed?

It somewhat forces new threads if someone has a legitimate question, which I don't love, but I don't think this happens enough to worry.

Thoughts?

latest post date <= dateadd (year, -1, getUTCdate) -

I do agree for most cases - if nothing else will prevent people replying with "I have the same problem" or "this solved my issue" with nothing else to add. And it will also avoid some of the spammers.

Just as a straw poll, what if we had threads older than 1 year - latest post date <= dateadd (year, -1, getdate) - closed when someone tries to post and a message listed?

Thoughts?

I think that works. Any thread that's been dead a year is, in fact, dead. Best to let it shuffle off this mortal coil.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Thoughts?

You may want to also test for a last post a year or more past the second to last post.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Maybe. I'd like to think that we prevent a posting here, so no one is notified, which should prevent there being two.

I have asked for data analysis of threads where the max time between any two posts is a year or more.

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Thom A wrote:

No.

you sure its not the other way around?

We take turns sharpening pencils. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Maybe. I'd like to think that we prevent a posting here, so no one is notified, which should prevent there being two.

I have asked for data analysis of threads where the max time between any two posts is a year or more.

What's the big problem about notifications or number of subscriptions?  This site is powered by a database and run by a company that works a whole lot with databases, right?

So a lot of folks have written articles where no one has posted to the discussions in well over a year.  If someone reads and article and has a question about the article for clarification or whatever, why shouldn't they be able to add a new post the the discussion thread for the article and have folks be notified?  Isn't that a part of the purpose here?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden wrote:

So a lot of folks have written articles where no one has posted to the discussions in well over a year.  If someone reads and article and has a question about the article for clarification or whatever, why shouldn't they be able to add a new post the the discussion thread for the article and have folks be notified?  Isn't that a part of the purpose here?

Perhaps threads in the Articles Discussions Forum could be exempt from being deleted from Subscriptions automatically? That would avoid authors missing responses to their articles when said article has been quiet for (several) years.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 65,866 through 65,880 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply