Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (7/20/2009)

Dave Ballantyne (7/20/2009)

Is it just me who internally screams , UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Nope, not at all.

Some people want to be spoon-fed and not have to (horror) actually think for themselves...

Or worse yet, crack the manual and read four sentences that don't "just answer the question."

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Just curious, is anyone receiving emails from this thread? I haven't received any all weekend but new replies have obviously been added - nothing being filtered on my end that I can tell although it is Monday and nobody from infrastructure is in yet!

Edit: They all came through this morning. Probably something within Exchange on our side. Thanks folks!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• There's only been a few posts this weekend. 4-6 at most.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I received all email notifications during the weekend, but there's been very few posts.

I don't think this means something like "Are the posted questions getting BETTER?"

Should I start a new THREAD?:-D

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Going to have to agree with the gist of this topic. I got hired as a DBA intern, and in 2 months I can answer some of these questions about user roles, etc, that are posted. People are way too lazy to just try to be proactive about learning and would rather have people online foot the work.

(I stay away from the T-SQL questions, though hehe).

• Gianluca Sartori (7/20/2009)

I received all email notifications during the weekend, but there's been very few posts.

I don't think this means something like "Are the posted questions getting BETTER?"

I suspect some people are still on summer holiday. Wait for August, I suspect things will pick up again

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I would encourage you to give a hint and ask them to try to answer the question, even the PhD candidate.

I usually post" We are happy to help, but we want to see you attempt to solve this. Please make an attempt" and see if you can get them to try.

It's like dealing with kids. They just want the answer, and while I can't force them to try, I can make sure they try and I help them, not just do the work for them.

• I was "on vacation" last week having taken the week off to work the PPI. What I joke this year. I worked 3 games on Thursday and 1 game on Sunday.

Anyway, I did answer some questions on SSC last week, but I stayed away from any that really required any real effort, which is why I didn't bother with the PhD candidates posts as of yet. Now that I'm back to work I'll start doing more here on SSC as well when i have time.

• GilaMonster (7/20/2009)

Gianluca Sartori (7/20/2009)

I received all email notifications during the weekend, but there's been very few posts.

I suspect some people are still on summer holiday. Wait for August, I suspect things will pick up again

No doubt but I suspect that not being able to find it on the recent posts list is part of the drop as well.

you can't answer if you can't find it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Lynn Pettis (7/20/2009)

I was "on vacation" last week having taken the week off to work the PPI. What I joke this year. I worked 3 games on Thursday and 1 game on Sunday.

Anyway, I did answer some questions on SSC last week, but I stayed away from any that really required any real effort, which is why I didn't bother with the PhD candidates posts as of yet. Now that I'm back to work I'll start doing more here on SSC as well when i have time.

That particular lunar mission candidate is so far onto my punishment hold list, I don't know if he will ever make it off of there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• On a totally different subject, I have actually seen several movies recently. Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince, Terminator Salvation, Star Trek, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Angles and Demons. I must say, I enjoyed them all. My kids and I are looking forward to such movies as 2012, G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, Gamer, and there are several others that i just can't remember from the previews but I'm sure the kids remember which ones they want to see.

So, anyone else go to the movies lately? What did you see and what did you enjoy (or not)?

• I do think the questions are getting worse, mainly because people post without searching first, like their problem is always going to be the first occurrence of something..

What drive me nuts is people who ask a question and then don't take ANY heed of the suggestions.. I can see by their answers that they are really saying "I really want to do it my way and I don't care that I'm doing it in a way that won't work or will expend 100x the energy.."

Case in point, a gent who was trying to install SQL from an ISO using a tool that will let you look at the contents, and extract the contents, but not mount the disk or use it as intended, but would NOT be disuaded from using it. Instead of getting rowdy, I decided to not read or responde to any of his posts, lest I say something I shouldn't..

Vent complete (mostly)..

CEWII

• Hey Bob, Glad to see you back! Nice name change! 😉

• Saw Star Trek (Best. Movie. Ever.) and Harry Potter, which I enjoyed, although it seems I'm in the minority. Whatever. Don't know how people expected them to stuff the entire novel into 2.5 hours. Good thing they're splitting the last one into two movies, there's no way they could chop that into one sitting.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I saw Star Trek and liked it. I thought it was a good rebirth of the franchise. I wasn't entirely sure about the actor they got for Spock form the previews, but he worked out quite well in the end. Of course, my favorite parts of the movie were with Leonard Nimoy.

I wasn't going to see the GI Joe movie, having seen the cartoons while in college and the idiocy of the cartoons was too much even for a cartoon. But, then I saw a preview and... what can I say? I'm a special effects junkie. :w00t: I just won't be too hard on the movie for lack of plot. 😛

Transformers was good, lots of explosions and action, but then, even if the movie had sucked, I still would have watched it as I love the voice of Optimus Prime.

Public Enemies was good, very good acting all around from the whole cast.

Is Up worth seeing? With the dearth of movies that I'm interested in for the next few weeks, I might see that one.

Gamer looks interesting as well as Surrogate (starting Bruce Willis). But looking over the list of movies coming out... there are several weeks were it doesn't look like anything good.

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 6,751 through 6,765 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply