Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Heh... if you're really interested in books on zombies, pick up a couple of books on project management. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Andre Norton has some excellent material for that age. I'd recommend Star Man's Son.

I'd also recommend Zelazny's "A Night in the Lonesome October" for anyone, like me, who enjoys old monster movies, Lovecraft, and Sherlock Holmes. The story is told from the viewpoint of Jack the Ripper's dog. Priceless.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Gaby A. (7/23/2009)

And now for something completely different...

Anyone here have experience using Ingrian, the encryption device that works with SQL Server. It's a relatively straightforward app, but seemed to have misplaced any manuals we have (creating them from scratch now) and looking to see if anyone has .PDF of it.

You sure the manuals aren't just encrypted?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/23/2009)

Gaby A. (7/23/2009)

And now for something completely different...

Anyone here have experience using Ingrian, the encryption device that works with SQL Server. It's a relatively straightforward app, but seemed to have misplaced any manuals we have (creating them from scratch now) and looking to see if anyone has .PDF of it.

You sure the manuals aren't just encrypted?

Well, it's pretty straightforward to set up, just need the manuals for any of the little unexpected things.

Gaby

• Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

Another completely off-topic post.

[font="Verdana"]Wait! There's a topic?

But while we're on the topic of kiddult fantasy, here are some highlights from from what I was reading at that age:

I agree with Roger Zelazny: Amber (all ten books).

Susan Cooper: The Dark Is Rising (the five books, not the terrible movie).

Ursula LeGuin: Wizard of Earthsea series.

JRR Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings.

SF is a harder call. I find most of the modern fantasy stuff very derivative, but SF is (in my opinion) still going strong. Stuff I remember reading is Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land) and Asimov (Foundation, I Robot, etc), and for more off-beat, Michael Moorcock, Stanislaw Lem. I read a lot of Philip K Dick, but I think he's an acquired taste.

So some modern SF recommendations:

David Weber: Honor Harrington series (I like all of his stuff, but this is the most well known).

Peter F Hamilton: pretty much anything he writes.

Ian M Banks: The Culture series.

Neil Stephenson.

Modern fantasy is a bit harder for me. But you could try:

Charles de Lint

Guy Gavriel Kay

Look up publishers like Baen and Tor. They have great collections.

[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (7/23/2009)

Grant Fritchey (7/23/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Wait! There's a topic?[/font]

Usually, yes. Let's see, I think the topic right now is sci-fi/fantasy book appropriate for young readers (10 years of age and up).

• "Usually, yes"???

I think Lynn's dehydrated from too much desert sun...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Also consider "The Jungle Book". Most of the stories aren't for the faint of heart. (Disney got it all wrong.) But it was one of the first books to grab my "jaded" son's attention and get him to read.

Some of Heinlein's stuff is great for younger readers (Have Spacesuit Will Travel, The Rolling Stones). But you have to be careful not to let an 11-year old read all of his stuff.

I also have fond memories of John Carter, Tars Tarkas, and the incomparable Dejah Thoris.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (7/23/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (7/23/2009)

Usually, yes. Let's see, I think the topic right now is sci-fi/fantasy book appropriate for young readers (10 years of age and up).

Well, I have seen it where several posts in a row had nothing to do with each other. Would you consider that off-topic then? 😉

Bruce W Cassidy (7/23/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Sorry Lynn, I was being facetious. What passes for humour in my warped brain. See my edited post where I went on to post my memories of kiddult fiction. :-D[/font]

• Just got back from two week trip, so am skipping through the Thread. Sorry if this is a repeat SF suggestion for younger readers, but have to make sure Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game is mentioned. Another might be The Giver (I don't recall the author).

• Yes, Philip K Dick is an acquired taste. Personally, I can't read his books but, in my opinion, they make pretty good movies. I love Blade Runner (the original theatrical release), but couldn't take the book it was based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". I tried to read some of his other stuff as he is listed among the great SF writers but could never get through them.

-- Kit

• Philip K Dick may have been mental. Any one read Valis? It was a bit strange.

• Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game) is a great read for kids. Follow it up immediately with Ender's Shadow and then have a very interesting conversation with your kid about how things aren't always what they seem.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Philip K Dick may have been mental. Any one read Valis? It was a bit strange.

[font="Verdana"]It's beaten out in weirdness by "Stars In My Pocket Like Grains Of Sand" by Samuel R Delaney. But only just.

Philip K Dick shows that you shouldn't combine drugs (speed) with an over-active imagination. Michael Moorcock on the other hand shows that you shouldn't combine drugs (LSD) with an over-active imagination. 🙂

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 6,886 through 6,900 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply