Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (10/8/2009)

Heh... I know it's a couple/three months old now but I've not seen it before.

Thanks for bringing this to us Jeff, I hadn't seen that reply. (And since he was responding to me...)

And wouldn't he really get upset if he knew the only reason I added the INDEX(0) option was to try to make nay-sayers like him happy?

So, I'll make it official... the INDEX(0) table hint is just what it says in the comment in the article above... it's "warm fuzzy" stuff that doesn't change a thing except slow the code down a bit (a lot, actually).

He did bring up an interesting thing though, and I'd like your opinion.

BTW, as an aside, the hint index = 0 doesn’t instruct the optimizer to do something in clustered index order, rather, just do a table scan (or clustered index scan with no order guaranteed). To instruct the optimizer to perform an activity in clustered index order you would normally use index = 1.

Would / Does using INDEX(1) do anything for the quirky update?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Gianluca Sartori (10/9/2009)

I had a hot discussion with Joe Celko some days ago about the quirky update.

He doesn't seem to like it.

I told him I use the quirky update expecting it to break at some point with service packs or new sql versions, but I use it in the meanwhile because it's fast and I would care about the problems when they arise.

He said that he would never step on a bridge built by an engineer that works this way....

Good point, actually.

No it's not. Engineers design failure into products because it allows them to use cheaper materials and methods, or they evaluate the life expectancy and replace before it gets there. Celko's asking for a bridge that will never fail in this case, which would put a lot of innocent Dept of Transportation workers out of a job (I'm crying on the inside).

If it works, it works, regardless of the level of documentation, and not using it when the benefits are so concrete is just stubborn. You are aware of the risks of it going away at some point, but so what? We all die at some point too. That shouldn't keep you from accomplishing something in life.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Grant, I'm bummed that I missed the Columbus chapter meeting last night, life happened πŸ˜‰

Don't suppose Jeremiah recorded it, or you have an upcoming session somewhere else on LiveMeeting that I could dial into?

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• LASHIWAB, Matt... :hehe:

• Just an FYI, since THE THREAD is so heavily visited. We've started our own ASK site at http://ask.sqlservercentral.com. Not my idea, and I'm not sure how we'll sync up points/rating at some point, but feel free to check it out, post/answer questions there.

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/9/2009)

Just an FYI, since THE THREAD is so heavily visited. We've started our own ASK site at ask.sqlservercentral.com. Not my idea, and I'm not sure how we'll sync up points/rating at some point, but feel free to check it out, post/answer questions there.

Steve looks like you need to adjust that link...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Just an FYI, since THE THREAD is so heavily visited. We've started our own ASK site at ask.sqlservercentral.com. Not my idea, and I'm not sure how we'll sync up points/rating at some point, but feel free to check it out, post/answer questions there.

Good work - i just posted a couple of replies just to check it out - and it came up with 'Banner Low' above one of my answers - with a link saying 'customise this' underneath - I clicked on customise this and it was a 404 - not sure if that's something you can do or whether you'll have to get Jeff A / whoever to look at it...

Nice though! πŸ˜€

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

• Also loving the image on the 500 page

My blog[/url]

Seems like a lot of people really like that model. It definitely has some good points. I still like the more community feel to SSC though. I don't think that the StackOverFlow model has that, but maybe that has more to do with the people visiting than the model.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• link adjusted, apparently I'm URL challenged.

• Jack Corbett (10/9/2009)

I still like the more community feel to SSC though

I like the fact that you can participate in a thread here, disagree thoroughly with someone, thrash it out, and both come away more knowledgeable for the experience. I haven't seen that on any of the stackoverflow based sites, particularly...

My blog[/url]

• Jack Corbett (10/9/2009)

I still like the more community feel to SSC though

Strongly agree with Jack, way back in the beginning it was what drew me back to this site again and again.

Matt Whitfield

I like the fact that you can participate in a thread here, disagree thoroughly with someone, thrash it out, and both come away more knowledgeable for the experience

Further I think it dilutes the power and effect of the existing SSC and will not prove to be of real value to an OP.

I would like to know how many individuals come to this site and browse the forums and learn, but never post a question or answer a question

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (10/9/2009)

I would like to know how many individuals come to this site and browse the forums and learn, but never post a question or answer a question

I was a lurker for quite a while... But then I started posting when I got annoyed with a cursor I saw πŸ˜€

I do think that the ask. site might have the effect of removing some of the less interesting questions from the forum though, which I think is a positive thing...

My blog[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (10/9/2009)

I've been a "dormant" user for six years, then I got addicted to the forums.

Yes, I confess, I'm threadoholic!!!!!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Aside from the rioting that will occur when parts of the Thread no longer make sense ...[pause for effect]

...I don't think any of us really care about generating points from this particular thread. Deduct points gained from this topic, but keep others?

Viewing 15 posts - 8,476 through 8,490 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply