Are the posted questions getting worse?

• What next?

"You'll have to get the rest of your question answered by someone else... they're about to close the casket, and nobody bothered to put extra batteries in here with me."

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Grant Fritchey (10/14/2009)

GilaMonster (10/14/2009)

I haz two tables and no question

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic803081-338-1.aspx

Some else can have the pleasure of this one. I'm going to spend an hour trying to conquer the galaxy, then going to bed.

Have fun storming the castle... er, conquering the galaxy. The second shift will take it all on.

That's a riot. Just before I congratulate Grant on his interpretation of gobbledygook, OP 'clarifies'. Must have had the thread open too long before I posted. I scream, you scream, we all scream for....whatever the heck the OP is talking about.:-P

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Bob Hovious 24601 (10/14/2009)

What next?

"You'll have to get the rest of your question answered by someone else... they're about to close the casket, and nobody bothered to put extra batteries in here with me."

Except you'll be exempt from that problem, you just have to figure out how to harvest your "healthy glow". Would that be a life and a half?

ouch, that pun was so bad I'm done for the day. Sorry all...

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

What next?

SOB (spew on blackberry) followed with much giggling.

Very funny, yes it was.

• jcrawf02 (10/14/2009)

Grant Fritchey (10/14/2009)

GilaMonster (10/14/2009)

I haz two tables and no question

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic803081-338-1.aspx

Some else can have the pleasure of this one. I'm going to spend an hour trying to conquer the galaxy, then going to bed.

Have fun storming the castle... er, conquering the galaxy. The second shift will take it all on.

That's a riot. Just before I congratulate Grant on his interpretation of gobbledygook, OP 'clarifies'. Must have had the thread open too long before I posted. I scream, you scream, we all scream for....whatever the heck the OP is talking about.:-P

Oh yeah, that one went kablooie.

Lordy what is that person talking about?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

What next?

I was sort of assuming I'd get power & wouldn't have to rely on a battery...

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (10/14/2009)

Bob Hovious 24601 (10/14/2009)

What next?

I was sort of assuming I'd get power & wouldn't have to rely on a battery...

Let me take a stab at this:

So you want a bookingstate of Power and Not Carry Update on Batteries?

Or would that be SupremeBeing conquering galaxies and still carrying on in SSC?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• While some of the questions have been gems.. Some of the responses, mostly from the inexperienced, are nothing shy of wild guesses based on nothing, let alone experience. Now I don't have a problem with them answering, everybody has to start somewhere, but where you can, TRY the solution you are putting forth, especially if you haven't ever done it yourself.

I truly want as much participation as reasonably possible, but if you don't have any actual experience with a technology, it might make more sense to continue reading and wait to see someone else answer.

Just venting a little.

• Lynn Pettis (10/14/2009)

SOB (spew on blackberry) followed with much giggling.

Very funny, yes it was.

If you weren't the Saint, I'd say you just called Bob a name there...:-P

• Nah... he just mutated SOM into SOB... which I thoroughly enjoyed BTW.

Hope you're having a good vacation, Lynn.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

What next?

BWAHahaha! LMAO! 😛

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• GSquared (10/14/2009)

Some days, neither of those matters to me, and I'll spend hours on an intriguing problem. If the problem means I get to fire up some extra brain cells that are getting lazy from the lack of stimulus in my own job, I can end up spending days on it.

Gus, well said.

For some of us (at least me, probably many others here), you're "the sr. dba" onsite. But, this doesn't mean that you know it all (though some make think you should). When you come across something that you don't immediately know the answer to, that means that this is an opportunity to learn something else... to expand your knowledge base. Something that I just don't get enough of, so I will take that opportunity when I can so that I can learn more.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• s ss (10/14/2009)

GilaMonster (10/14/2009)

I need some help in getting data into a particular form. I have a table with three columns in. The first column is a code, the other two are strings.

<insert table def and sample code here>

I need to display this so that the the code is repeated on two rows, first row with the 1st string column and then with the second string column. Like this:

<insert example of how the data should have looked>

(That's based on my understanding of the question, I may be totally wrong in what he wants. If I'm right, this is very simple to do, union the table with itself)

SELECT Code, StrCol1, 1 as OrderCol FROM Table

Union All

SELECT Code, StrCol2, 2 as OrderCol FROM Table

Order by Code, OrderCol

See you guys are so GOOD you don't need any additional info. 😀

Just because we can decipher a cryptic question doesn't mean that we want to.

Following on from what Gus and Bob said. We're not paid support stuff. The only person who works for SSC is Steve Jones. The rest of us are consultants, DBAs, developers, etc with our own jobs, our own problems, deadlines, time constraints, etc. We post here because we enjoy it.

A cryptic question takes time to resolve. This particular one I had to read 5 or 6 times before I figured out what he was asking for. If I encounter a question that requires that much work just to understand then I generally will simply hit the back button and look for something else to answer.

Now some people will stick at it because that's how they are or because they find it a challenge.

As for the withholding of the answer, that happens to. I've sometimes refused to give a straight answer until the OP explains the bigger picture, what it is they're actually trying to do. So often when they do it turns out there's a better solution that they didn't know of.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Which galaxy?

This one. What would be the point of conquering any other?

Before anyone gets worried...

http://www.galciv2.com/

Currently playing Altarians going for an ascension victory. Just need to do something about that Iconian empire....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • [rant] Why do I get a feeling that myself and others on this forums are keeping inexperienced people in their current role. deja vu every day, same ops different questions on different technologies. I didnt realise that we provided 1st line/2nd line/3rd line sql support free of charge. [/rant]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 8,581 through 8,595 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply