Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (10/21/2009)

I really didn't see anything in the discussion that would make me feel between angry and depressed. Just my .02

Fair enough! It was the two guys saying 'yeah well I've been doing it much better for years - using SQL Server as an Object Database', and 'you should have used a 2008-only feature'...but hey YMMV. The discussion seems to have picked up now anyway.

• P Jones (10/21/2009)

keep the sales people away from the databases. They're the last people on earth who should have 'sa' privs.

Agreed. Very heartily. Especially when it's ACT by Sage which has so many integrated own ways of doing things it even deletes users added to the database so everything had to be done with the sa password rather than via windows logins permissions. Then the salesman got loose.... and we have to fix the mess :angry:

I won't use Ask as we also can't get through the office firewall which is set to prevent people logging onto personal web mail sites such as yahoo and google and to prevent visits to eBay etc. in office time.

Ugh... ACT. I've had to deal with exports from that program (along with having to use it for a short time). How they stay in business with such a lousy product is beyond me. Although, to be fair, I used it 9 years ago and it might have improved since then. My experience with the program was traumatic enough that I shy away from it and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Better to keep your contacts in an Excel spreadsheet than use ACT. 😛

-- Kit

• Emperor Paulpatine,

XML makes db design much simpler too:

create table XMLTable (ID bigint, Data xml)

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Grant Fritchey (10/20/2009)

No accountants here either... Nurses, Receptionists, Sales people... those I've seen try to be DBA's. Nurses weren't so bad, neither were the receptionists... keep the sales people away from the databases. They're the last people on earth who should have 'sa' privs.

Since I started out as a salesperson who needed a database....

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (10/21/2009)

Grant Fritchey (10/20/2009)

No accountants here either... Nurses, Receptionists, Sales people... those I've seen try to be DBA's. Nurses weren't so bad, neither were the receptionists... keep the sales people away from the databases. They're the last people on earth who should have 'sa' privs.

Nuff said... :-P, proof in point 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Silverfox (10/21/2009)

GSquared (10/21/2009)

Grant Fritchey (10/20/2009)

Nuff said... :-P, proof in point 😀

Exactly!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I've been wondering if people who accidentally stumble onto the first page of the THREAD and casually go from page to page, not realizing how long it has grown? I wonder how long before they hit the double arrows to go to the end.

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (10/21/2009)

I've been wondering if people who accidentally stumble onto the first page of the THREAD and casually go from page to page, not realizing how long it has grown? I wonder how long before they hit the double arrows to go to the end.

I'm one of them! 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I can see someone getting lost for 20 pages, but the whole thread? That would be something.

• GabyYYZ (10/21/2009)

I've been wondering if people who accidentally stumble onto the first page of the THREAD and casually go from page to page, not realizing how long it has grown? I wonder how long before they hit the double arrows to go to the end.

I started reading The Thread when it was around 4k or so. Took me about 2 1/2 weeks of intermittant reading to catch up and it was around 6k when I did, I think. Now? We should probably have a medal or something for anyone who slogs their way through it. I enjoyed my slog though, it was very fun to read. You get swords and martial arts and science fiction and all sorts of things! Oh, and lots of instances of pork chops! How can you go wrong?

-- Kit

• Kit G (10/21/2009)

GabyYYZ (10/21/2009)

I started reading The Thread when it was around 4k or so. Took me about 2 1/2 weeks of intermittant reading to catch up and it was around 6k when I did, I think. Now? We should probably have a medal or something for anyone who slogs their way through it. I enjoyed my slog though, it was very fun to read. You get swords and martial arts and science fiction and all sorts of things! Oh, and lots of instances of pork chops! How can you go wrong?

Did we ever have pork chops recipes on here?

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (10/21/2009)

Kit G (10/21/2009)

GabyYYZ (10/21/2009)

Did we ever have pork chops recipes on here?

🙂

GINGERED PORK CHOPS

INGREDIENTS

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons ground ginger

salt to taste

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

4 tablespoons olive oil

4 thick cut pork chops

1 onion, halved and thinly sliced

1 tablespoon brandy

1 1/2 cups orange juice

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Place the flour, ginger, salt and pepper into a paper or plastic bag. Put the chops in the bag, and shake to coat. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown pork chops in the hot oil on both sides. Transfer the chops to a casserole dish.

Place the onion in the hot frying pan, and cook until limp. Pour the brandy into the pan, and stir to incorporate any bits of food that may be stuck to the pan. Pour the onion and juices over the pork chops in the dish. Pour the orange juice into the casserole as well.

Cover and bake for 45 minutes, or until chops are no longer pink. Serve with the orange sauce from the dish.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jason, you forgot to mention:

"put the pork chops in the launcher and aim to a clueless OP or wannabe DBA":-D

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Database Pork Chops

---------------------

4 large chops, bone-in

cayenne pepper

flour

sharp knife

trebuchet

With the knife, sharpen the end of the bones until they achieve a dangerous point.

Liberally coat the chops with flour, the better to identify the victim

Load the chop on the trebuchet

Add generous sprinkling of cayenne pepper to intensify the message

target developer

launch

Allow the flour and pepper to dissipate

Walk over and deliver your point again to a more willing audience.

• Gianluca Sartori (10/21/2009)

Jason, you forgot to mention:

"put the pork chops in the launcher and aim to a clueless OP or wannabe DBA":-D

My apologies - 10,000 Hail DBAs

And certainly the wannabe DBA made me SOM

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 8,716 through 8,730 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply