Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Welcome to The Thread, Les!! 😀

In order to avoid redundancy and repetition and redundancy, we have established an informal rule that newcomers first review all previous posts to see if their comments have already been discussed at length.

Please take notes as you review all prior posts, because there will be a brief quiz to establish that you are now familiar with the material, at which point you will be given the official title of "ThreadHead" and offered your choice of:

1. cte or subquery

2. numbers or tally table

3. thrice-damned cursor or elegant and efficient set-based solution

4. pork chop or steak

5. lightsabre, katana, longbow, or trebuchet

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob Hovious 24601 (11/24/2009)

Welcome to The Thread, Les!! 😀

In order to avoid redundancy and repetition and redundancy, we have established an informal rule that newcomers first review all previous posts to see if their comments have already been discussed at length.

Thanks!

That informal rule seems very wise -- I will get right on that. Alas, I am a bit of a slow reader so it may take me some time to work my way through it. It will help a great deal if everyone would refrain from posting anything additional until I am finished. Thanks for your help in this matter.:-P

- Les

• It will help a great deal if everyone would refrain from posting anything additional until I am finished. Thanks for your help in this matter. [Tongue]

You're gonna fit right in...

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Please take notes as you review all prior posts, because there will be a brief quiz to establish that you are now familiar with the material, at which point you will be given the official title of "ThreadHead" and offered your choice of:

1. cte or subquery

4. pork chop or steak

ummm

1. CTE

2. Alpha Table

3. Set based cursors 😛

4. Steak

5. All of the above and a ballista.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

1. cte or subquery

4. pork chop or steak

Welcome, Les!

One thing you'll see as you flip through the year's worth of discussion is that this is more of a water-cooler environment and that the kvetching about posts in the technical sections of SSC alternates with casual conversation, public attaboys (or attagirls), and quite a bit of verbal horseplay. I suspect that the advice to review all previous posts falls in this last category. (Bob, please forgive my popping that balloon......)

Despite the freewheeling atmosphere, you should also be aware that some of the top practitioners of MS-SQL, including several honored by MS as "MVP"s hang out here, so it'll certainly be worth your time to stay in touch.

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/24/2009)

Bob Hovious 24601 (11/24/2009)

1. cte or subquery

4. pork chop or steak

ummm

1. CTE

2. Alpha Table

3. Set based cursors 😛

4. Steak

5. All of the above and a ballista.

Watch it Jason!!!!! Don't give away the answers!!!!!

😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

1. cte or subquery

4. pork chop or steak

1. APPLY

2. ROW_NUMBER

3. triangular join

4. a nice green salad

5. Sith lightning

:w00t:

• At this point I am completely lost on where THE THREAD is, though I didn't see a #6 movie or a #7 book.

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/24/2009)

At this point I am completely lost on where THE THREAD is, though I didn't see a #6 movie or a #7 book.

You're lost? How can that be? Maybe you need to read the whole thing again, from the beginning.

😀

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• john.arnott (11/24/2009)

Despite the freewheeling atmosphere, you should also be aware that some of the top practitioners of MS-SQL, including several honored by MS as "MVP"s hang out here, so it'll certainly be worth your time to stay in touch.

With those words of assurance from John, I am joining the thread. I had been following most part of this thread for 3 months now, but had never got into the thread.

For a moment, when I saw Bob's welcome post to Les, (asking to follow what happened in this thread over the year) I thought it would be not possible for me to read the remaining 9 months.

Anyway I am now in this thread.

Happy Thanksgiving !

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• The Thread is everywhere, Steve....

(Hi, Bru and welcome.)

Hi, Bru and welcome

Thanks Bob for your cordial welcome. (When compared to welcoming Les ;-))

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Remember always, the water cooler this is. Here may you veg (or my case run to the desert), rant a bit, and even ask for help on other threads should you find yourself in something you are not sure about.

Welcome to our haven, Bru! 😉

• Turkey for me

Turkey for you

Let's eat the turkey

In my big brown shoe

Love to eat the turkey

At the table

I once saw a movie

With Betty Grable

Eat that turkey

All night long

Fifty million Elvis fans

Can't be wrong

Turkey lurkey doo and

Turkey lurkey dap

I eat that turkey

Then I take a nap

Learn Extended Events

• Woot - just cracked the top 100 here at SSC. It only took 1918 points.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 9,481 through 9,495 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply