Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (1/29/2009)

Lynn! Your favorite is back!

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic646268-19-1.aspx?Update=1

I know, wrong avatar, but... I know nothing....

I'm glad you saw it first, now he's yours..... :hehe:

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

2. Should a senior DBA be able to answer those questions without having to resort to a forum?

[font="Verdana"]In my experience, a "senior" role isn't the one occupied by someone who knows everything there is to know about any one particular product. There are always upgrades, new versions, previously unexplored bugs, newly developed systems and changes in infrastructure to deal with.

I never interview based solely on what someone knows. I prefer to know how they deal with not knowing, but still needing to get something done.

With a senior role, I would expect someone who has the nouse to check books online, MSDN, google, hit relavent forums. That is as distinct from someone who hits a problem and just... stops.

BTW, I'm new to this site, and still learning the ropes. I haven't found it "elitist" yet. πŸ™‚

[/font]

• The key part of Jeff's question was "without resorting to a forum". Some of the questions the guy asked, like users connecting to the secondary server in a log-shipping situation, I certainly can't answer off the top of my head. My I bet I can find an answer by looking a little bit, without having to ask here. Even if that particular one turned into a real head-scratcher, I know for a fact that the first question had better already be known before claiming to be a senior DBA!

If the user complaint you that application is running very slow. As

a DBA where do you start your work ???how do you find where exactly

the problem is???

You obviously, obviously start by blaming the UI devs! Everyone knows that! Or the network guy, if the UI dev is good looking. How "senior" do you need to be for that one!?! πŸ™‚

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Bruce W Cassidy (1/29/2009)

I haven't found it "elitist" yet. πŸ™‚

You never will here. Passionate people about SQL server, all willing to help whenever possible (free of charge!), some of the "cream of the crop" - IMHO - but never, ever "elitist".

- Edit: As your new to the site, read this is your spare time (written by the one and only Jeff Moden!):

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby (1/29/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (1/29/2009)

You never will here. Passionate people about SQL server, all willing to help whenever possible (free of charge!), some of the "cream of the crop" - IMHO - but never, ever "elitist".

[font="Verdana"]I'm not sure whether I am happy about that, or sad... sometimes it's fun having a good ol' mud-slinging match with someone who is absolutely sure they are right. And sometimes that's even me![/font]

tosscrosby (1/29/2009)

- Edit: As your new to the site, read this is your spare time (written by the one and only Jeff Moden!):

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/%5B/quote%5D

[font="Verdana"]Thanks for that. I'm off to read![/font]

• I'm not sure a newbie to this site should be reading this thread, at least not the last 2 days worth. He's gonna be corrupted for life now!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (1/29/2009)

I'm not sure a newbie to this site should be reading this thread, at least not the last 2 days worth. He's gonna be corrupted for life now!!

[font="Verdana"]Heh. I come pre-corrupted. 20 years of real world IT/database experience will do that to a fellow.[/font]

Alvin Ramard (1/29/2009)

I'm not sure a newbie to this site should be reading this thread, at least not the last 2 days worth. He's gonna be corrupted for life now!!

[font="Verdana"]Heh. I come pre-corrupted. 20 years of real world IT/database experience will do that to a fellow.[/font]

You'll fit right in. Just don't upset "The Thread".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (1/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I'm too scared to even ask! Let me guess though... some sort of ΓΌber-discussion that has been running since the beginning of time? Probably involves cursors...[/font]

• See, he's confused already.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

GSquared (1/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I'm too scared to even ask! Let me guess though... some sort of ΓΌber-discussion that has been running since the beginning of time? Probably involves cursors...[/font]

Um ... actually ... it's this thread right here that you're posting in.

Someone started making jokes about the thread waking up and taking over Skynet, and someone posted a couple of Terminator references under the screen name "The Thread".

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (1/29/2009)

Um ... actually ... it's this thread right here that you're posting in.

[font="Verdana"]Ooops. And I mentioned cursors. Run![/font]

GSquared (1/29/2009)

Someone started making jokes about the thread waking up and taking over Skynet, and someone posted a couple of Terminator references under the screen name "The Thread".

[font="Verdana"]A joke? You're sure?

I've been rewatching the Matrix series... just recently bought the collectors edition. I'm thinking I need to start dressing in white and using words like "ergo".[/font]

sometimes it's fun having a good ol' mud-slinging match with someone who is absolutely sure they are right. And sometimes that's even me!

We can arrange one of those if you want. All part of the service, no extra charge. πŸ˜‰

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/29/2009)

sometimes it's fun having a good ol' mud-slinging match with someone who is absolutely sure they are right. And sometimes that's even me!

We can arrange one of those if you want. All part of the service, no extra charge. πŸ˜‰

I paid for an argument!

No you didn't!

Yes I did, and I'm not getting one!

Yes you are, this is an argument!

No, it's a disagreement!

(Appoligies to Monty Python for any errors in this. I'm typing it from Random Accuracy Memory.)

Property of The Thread

tosscrosby (1/29/2009)

[font="Verdana"]I'm not sure whether I am happy about that, or sad... sometimes it's fun having a good ol' mud-slinging match with someone who is absolutely sure they are right. And sometimes that's even me![/font]

tosscrosby (1/29/2009)

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/%5B/quote%5D

[font="Verdana"]Thanks for that. I'm off to read![/font]

We said we weren't elitist, never said anything about not having good old fashion firefights. Bankers Round is one that comes to mind, and in two separate threads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply