Are the posted questions getting worse?

• You were twitting pretty fast the last couple of days... 🙂

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (3/1/2010)

You were twitting pretty fast the last couple of days... 🙂

Yeah. I had a few fellow Canadians on there and the adrenalin was definitely flowing.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

Yeah. I had a few fellow Canadians on there and the adrenalin was definitely flowing.

I was labouring under a misapprehension as far as the Olympics were concerned: I had always thought that the country with the highest number of Gold Medals came top of the leader board. I thought total medal count was used as a tie-breaker if more than one country had the same number of Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Well, something like that. I'm a bit fuzzy on the detail.

So, how come Canada (with 16 Gold was it?) came third (I think) behind USA (maybe) and Germany (correct me if I am wrong)?

From what I saw, I think both USA and Germany won fewer Golds.

How does that work?

Actually I'm quite glad to hear from someone who isn't Australian at this point. So, they had their best Winter Olympics ever winning x Golds, y Silvers, and z Bronzes. I am fully over "Bruce and Sheila" pointing out that New Zealand's medal count was zero...

(I might mention the recent 20/20 cricket game, of course)

Well done on the Ice Hockey! Exciting finish!

Paul

• Paul White (3/1/2010)

I was labouring under a misapprehension as far as the Olympics were concerned: I had always thought that the country with the highest number of Gold Medals came top of the leader board. I thought total medal count was used as a tie-breaker if more than one country had the same number of Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Well, something like that. I'm a bit fuzzy on the detail.

So, how come Canada (with 16 Gold was it?) came third (I think) behind USA (maybe) and Germany (correct me if I am wrong)?

How does that work?

Paul

There's some confusion over here in Germany as well... Our news do present Canada as the winner in terms of country leader board but also mentioned that the Canadian fellows actually measuring it to be third. Either way, Germany came in second place. 😀

To all Canadians on this forum: I do consider your country as being "right next to us" on country leader board.

To all US folks on this forum: I do consider your country as being "right next to us" on country leader board.

:-D:-D:-D

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• So, how come Canada (with 16 Gold was it?) came third

Don't think that's the case. See the BBC website here.

I think the table on the official Olympics site has the wrong ORDER BY clause 🙂

• A very balanced reply there Lutz. 😎

Huge thanks again for your awesome article review!

• Paul White (3/1/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

How does that work?

Actually I'm quite glad to hear from someone who isn't Australian at this point. So, they had their best Winter Olympics ever winning x Golds, y Silvers, and z Bronzes. I am fully over "Bruce and Sheila" pointing out that New Zealand's medal count was zero...

(I might mention the recent 20/20 cricket game, of course)

Well done on the Ice Hockey! Exciting finish!

Paul

Most of the talk that I heard about medal standings referred to total medal count, not the number of gold medal. I think it would make more sense if they awarded points for each medal, let's say 3 points for gold, 2 for silver, and 1 for bronze. It's interesting that doing so for 2010 would not change the standings. See the results below.

Gold Silver Bronze Count Points

US 9 15 13 37 70

Germany 10 13 7 30 63

Canada 14 7 5 26 61

I don't care who got the most medals and how people want to rank the countries. I'm just happy that Canada did as well as they did, especially since they set a new record for the most gold medals won by a single country in a single winter olympic. The previous record was 13, set by the USSR in 1986 I believe.

There's no question that the US and Germany, along with numerous other countries, need to be congratulated too. Congratulations!!!

Edit: I forgot to add that Canada had not won a single gold medal in the previous games that were held in Canada.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• nigel. (3/1/2010)

I think the table on the official Olympics site has the wrong ORDER BY clause 🙂

Maybe it's a collation issue. I normally blame collation issues :laugh:

• Who actually won the hockey yesterday?

I went to bed before it was finished and didn't feel like wading through hundreds of twitter updates this morning.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/1/2010)

Who actually won the hockey yesterday?

I went to bed before it was finished and didn't feel like wading through hundreds of twitter updates this morning.

Canada won 3-2 in overtime.

Alvin Ramard

• Excellent

It was kinda interesting watching the twitter comments, with people rooting for both sides, without actually watching the game.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/1/2010)

Excellent

It was kinda interesting watching the twitter comments, with people rooting for both sides, without actually watching the game.

Some of us did get a little excited. My apologies to all for cursing in French, well, at least, I kept it on the mild side. 🙂

Alvin Ramard

• I was listening, but had to stop when it went to overtime to replace a faucet. I was watching the tweets to keep up with what was happening. It was kind of fun.

• Only SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY, GETDATE(), '2012-07-27') days left to go before the start of the next Olympic games. 😛

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (3/1/2010)

Only SELECT DATEDIFF(DAY, GETDATE(), '2012-07-27') days left to go before the start of the next Olympic games. 😛

The Rugby World Cup is much more exciting a prospect!

Viewing 15 posts - 12,121 through 12,135 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply