Are the posted questions getting worse?

• http://twitter.com/sqltech2 if you're interested in the 'defendant's' views/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

http://twitter.com/sqltech2 if you're interested in the 'defendant's' views/

Looks like he may be learning!!!!

http://sqltechconsulting.com/2009/12/25/top-tips-for-effective-database-maintenance/

Pay attention to: Exerpt from Paul Randal’s Effective Database Maintenance Tips,”

At least he's making it obvious somebody else wrote it.

Edit: I need to add a note. The link I posted points to a blog post where the person in question has added suitable reference to the original item. This came after much criticism. It's a step in the right direction.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I figured as much and was trying to be a smart alec about it. I left the "this" off my copy. 😀

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

I am missing the twitter debate. However, I don't agree with the defendant - guilty as charged. I read the blogs by Steve, Brent, and Denny on the subject (as well as the comments). John is a bit messed up in his defense.

Learn Extended Events

• Alvin Ramard (3/23/2010)

GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

http://sqltechconsulting.com/2009/12/25/top-tips-for-effective-database-maintenance/

Pay attention to: Exerpt from Paul Randal’s Effective Database Maintenance Tips,”

That's all fine and well. It still won't drive my traffic to his website (until I forget what his site is).

Learn Extended Events

• One of these days (probably nights) I'm going to have to check out what this twitter thing is. It's blocked at work. Am I the only person in the world not using (following?) twitter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• tstaker (3/23/2010)

One of these days (probably nights) I'm going to have to check out what this twitter thing is. It's blocked at work. Am I the only person in the world not using (following?) twitter.

You're not alone

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• tstaker (3/23/2010)

One of these days (probably nights) I'm going to have to check out what this twitter thing is. It's blocked at work. Am I the only person in the world not using (following?) twitter.

I am on twitter, but it is blocked at work.

Learn Extended Events

GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

Edit: I need to add a note. The link I posted points to a blog post where the person in question has added suitable reference to the original item. This came after much criticism. It's a step in the right direction.

I added a note to the quoted post.

Alvin Ramard

• Having aced two courses in Intellectual Property at the Vanderbilt University School of Law, I feel entitled to have an opinion on Mr. Dunleavy's actions: He doesn't have a leg to stand on and he should remove ALL the pirated articles immediately before he gets sued.

There is no way that the wholesale lifting of entire copyrighted articles can be considered fair use, even with attribution. It doesn't matter that he claims his intentions are noble. He doesn't own the rights. Period.

If anyone doubts this, let me pose a hypothetical. Let's make up a fictional author and call him... oh.. I don't know... something like Grant Fritchey maybe. He has written a couple of excellent books. He doesn't make a lot of money off the revenues from these books, but he is entitled to his share from each copy sold. The company that publishes his books gets most of the rest.

I could scan the content of his books and put it up on a website for free where everyone could benefit from it. I could leave his name on it, maybe even a picture of the cover so everyone could see who the publisher was. Then nobody would need to actually buy the book. A lot more people would probably read it and benefit from it. Do you think our fictional author would be pleased? How about the publisher. Do you think they might have a cause of action against me?

Or maybe I take some other well known SQL books and make photocopies of them. With modest overhead I could sell them for ten bucks apiece. Why should the authors complain? I'm increasing their readership, right?

Wait... I have some CDs with SQL Server on them. I could install them over and over at some Mom and Pop companies and just tell them to keep those servers off the web. (Tell them I could handle any maintenance and updates for a reasonable fee.) They'd save all the money on licensing.... and won't Microsoft be happy that I'm helping build their install base!

There is no principled difference between any of those examples and what Dunleavy is doing.

There is nothing to stop him from reading a book or article and rewriting the material in his own words, adding his own knowledge, omitting parts he feels are irrelevant, and reorganizing it in a way that makes more sense to him. But writing, even rewriting, takes effort. He is stealing that effort and putting it to use for his own benefit (the promotion of his own website) without compensation to the true creators. I hope he gets nailed for it.

I will now stand down and pack up my soapbox.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I think Paul Randall has been successful in convincing our "plagiarizer" that there was an error in his way of doing things. We just have to wait and see now.

Alvin Ramard

• Paul White NZ (3/23/2010)

WayneS (3/23/2010)

In MY experience, those people that go to college from high school, get a degree in an IT field (even a masters!), and then join the work force have been the absolute worse programmers / DBAs that I've seen.

Quite so. It is a well-known and absolutely incontrovertible univeral fact that the very best programmers/database developers/consultants-occasionally-available-for-a-very-reasonable-fee... all hold a third-class honours degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering 😉 :w00t:

Do you really want this getting around? On this side of the globe, there are those who love to point out that you can't spell geek or dweeb without "ee". 😉

I think Paul Randall has been successful in convincing our "plagiarizer" that there was an error in his way of doing things. We just have to wait and see now.

Was that via twitter?

Learn Extended Events

Correct, that and the discussion, if I can call it that, on Twitter.

Just had a chance to read that first link (BrentOzar.com). This reminds me of those who try to justify pirated recordings by saying "the music should be FREE, man." Yeah, right. Why should my professional musician friends expect to be paid for their talent, skill and time to create music? It should be free! It's a short step from that to saying we all need to eat, so the food in the supermarkets should be free.

I see from some Thread postings that Dunleavy may be seeing the light. I surely hope so. I'll have to follow the rest of those links later. Meanwhile, since food isn't free, I'd better get my work done.

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/23/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/23/2010)

I think Paul Randall has been successful in convincing our "plagiarizer" that there was an error in his way of doing things. We just have to wait and see now.

Was that via twitter?

yep, and it took many posts. Sometimes that 140 characters/post is a real nuissance.

Alvin Ramard

Viewing 15 posts - 13,186 through 13,200 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply