Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Alvin Ramard (4/1/2010)

GilaMonster (4/1/2010)

F.

Since I swapped the order of the answers, your answer would now be E - All of the above

the question says 'select ALL that apply' so should it not be A,B,C,D and E?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (4/1/2010)

Alvin Ramard (4/1/2010)

GilaMonster (4/1/2010)

F.

Since I swapped the order of the answers, your answer would now be E - All of the above

the question says 'select ALL that apply' so should it not be A,B,C,D and E?

I'm not saying what the correct answer is, yet, just in case someone has a different answer and wants to discuss it.

The above statement does not acknowledge that the answers provided so far are correct.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/1/2010)

NULLs HAVE been deprecated, haven't you heard. SQL 11 will have no NULLs

If only that were true...:wistful-look-emoticon:

• Alvin Ramard (4/1/2010)

FYI, here's the suggestion I had sent to Steve for today's QOD:

<snip>

What's the correct answer?

The colour with RGB code #FFF8E7.

(Cosmic Latté)

• Grant Fritchey (4/1/2010)

Paul White NZ (4/1/2010)

Someone just quoted a reference at me on a thread to prove that table variables are faster than real temporary tables. The relevant extract from the 'reference' is:

"Temp tables are stored physically on disk in tempdb, while table variables are stored partially in memory and partially on disk. This difference means a few things for your code. Since table variables are at least partially in memory, they can be faster than temp tables."

Quoted from http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1280004,00.html - I hope that constitutes fair use. The site is member-only, so I had to join to view it (not many people know that my real name is Mr M. Mouse of Disneyland).

Given the recent discussions on certification and so on, it strikes me as apposite that the author of this published article has the following credentials:

MCSE, MCITP: Database Administrator, MCSD, current SQL Server MVP

:blink: :pinch: :doze:

Paul

Interesting. I don't really know him... Not exactly a confidence building statement there.

You can learn a bit more about him here. He is active in the Colorado Springs SQL Server Users Group. I believe he was recently the President of the group, but that changed recently when Kat Meadows was elected to the position.

Pretty sharp fellow, imho, so I'm curious about how he came to this particular conclusion.

• Now I have someone whining about my april fool's blog post. 🙁

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Some people stink, Gail. I've had more than a few complaints as well. That's part of the reason why I include the disclaimer right away.

• GilaMonster (4/1/2010)

Now I have someone whining about my april fool's blog post. 🙁

Oh that was flipping sad.

I hope the schmuck finds your post every day for the rest of his life. What a pathetic complaint.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (4/1/2010)

Unless, of course, it was someone from twitter complaining 'cause I said I hadn't had a complaint. Email address doesn't match anyone I know though.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I can't believe of few of the whiney comments in the editorial discussion. I guess some people are born without a sense of humor.

I fell for one this morning. The copier had an instruction sheet for a new voice activated module. It was on HP letter head and looked official. I didn't really follow the instructions but I did comment out loud, "Why would anyone ever need a voice activated module on a copier." It made a few people laugh at my expense but I don't mind being the fool on occasion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Dave Ballantyne (4/1/2010)

Have i just fallen hook line and sinker for some weird april fool's 😉

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic894474-338-1.aspx

Yup - victim.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

GilaMonster (4/1/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/1/2010)

I just have to share this one. I just got my idea for my next editorial (which, yes, I know Steve, is WAY overdue).

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost894601.aspx

Editorial on free vs paid advice?

Darn, was it that easy to figure out? 😀

Editorial? Go for the entire book, or at least an article.

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (4/1/2010)

Someone just quoted a reference at me on a thread to prove that table variables are faster than real temporary tables. The relevant extract from the 'reference' is:

"Temp tables are stored physically on disk in tempdb, while table variables are stored partially in memory and partially on disk. This difference means a few things for your code. Since table variables are at least partially in memory, they can be faster than temp tables."

Quoted from http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1280004,00.html - I hope that constitutes fair use. The site is member-only, so I had to join to view it (not many people know that my real name is Mr M. Mouse of Disneyland).

Given the recent discussions on certification and so on, it strikes me as apposite that the author of this published article has the following credentials:

MCSE, MCITP: Database Administrator, MCSD, current SQL Server MVP

:blink: :pinch: :doze:

Paul

I think that covers fair use. I agree that the author does not instill much confidence in certification when making statements like that.

Learn Extended Events

GilaMonster (4/1/2010)

Oh that was flipping sad.

I hope the schmuck finds your post every day for the rest of his life. What a pathetic complaint.

There's always one...

• Paul White NZ (4/1/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/1/2010)

I saw the article rating thing and took advantage of it. 327 guess what I rated it.

The overall average, despite our combined efforts, is still 4.33 out of 5...!

I rated it too. It is still rated a 4.33

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 13,726 through 13,740 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply