Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Good luck finding something on the web if you can. If so, I'd be happy to help. I was thinking that maintaining a body of works (not published/visible) and submitting content to "check" might be the easy way to do this for publishers.

If you want to write something that's searching blogs for new content and then searching the web for matches, that seems rather ambitious.

Jeff, I was talking about finding and dealing with plagiarism in terms of publishers.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/27/2010)

Good luck finding something on the web if you can. If so, I'd be happy to help. I was thinking that maintaining a body of works (not published/visible) and submitting content to "check" might be the easy way to do this for publishers.

If you want to write something that's searching blogs for new content and then searching the web for matches, that seems rather ambitious.

Jeff, I was talking about finding and dealing with plagiarism in terms of publishers.

Isn't that kind of what search engines do in spidering the web and caching the contents. What you'd be doing is the next step and searching the contents of the spidered cache and comparing content.

I'm not a programmer but this seems very complex. I bet google already does something like this behind the scenes for their own internal purposes for their google docs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• I think it's simpler than you might expect. First of all, phrases of 7 or 8 words are generally enough to be unique, unless they're familiar quotations, etc. Try it on a few of your own articles and you'll see what I mean. You rip out a few of these phrases, send them off to Google, and maybe send some additional rules along for the ride--e.g. you might have a set of sites to ignore (this one, for example). Then you manually peek at any results returned. Over time, the rules engine gets built up so that there are very few results returned when there aren't legitimate hits. At least, all of that works in theory 😀

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• The Dixie Flatline (4/27/2010)

What Jeff said. The problem is finding the documents out on the web to compare. I've heard that many schools subscribe to a service that looks for plagiarized content on the web. I'll try to find out the name of the service, if you want, Steve.

With respect to how much plagiarism goes on and where, all I can say is the sheer number of plagiarized articles at the Hyderabad site suggests an epidemic within that community of users. I will not impute that bad behavior to the site administrators, or to anyone who published original content there, but there is no arguing that there was a LOT of stolen content there. I have no idea about how many different people contributed ripped-off articles. If it was only one guy plagiarizing twenty different articles that's a different story than a dozen people each plagiarizing one or two articles.

I sometimes wonder if this kind of behavior spreads by word of mouth. Someone plagiarizes, gets a job or a reputation because of it, and then brags to his buddies about it. They think "I gotta try that." and the epidemic is on. That could explain the rash of homework/final project questions we see several times a year.

Apologies are okay, but corrective action is better, and it appears that is being taken. I believe the individuals who were caught stealing others' work deserve to have their reputations flushed down the toilet. If you will lie to get a job, then you will lie on the job.

Not only do you see a lot of homework/test questions here on SSC, but I have seen quite a few of freelance jobs advertised on freelancerer.com for school projects. Instead of doing the work themselves, they'd rather pay someone else to do the work for them. From what I have read on some school sites that constitutes plagiarizm as well.

• Apparently plagiarism detection has become quite the cottage industry. Search "plagiarism detection" and you will find a number of different offerings.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (4/27/2010)

Not only do you see a lot of homework/test questions here on SSC, but I have seen quite a few of freelance jobs advertised on freelancerer.com for school projects. Instead of doing the work themselves, they'd rather pay someone else to do the work for them.

And these are the people who will be expected to run our governments, businesses, etc?? It boggles the mind... I'm going to go build a bomb shelter so that I have somewhere to hide when our society crumbles...

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• Don't know, but as the forum indicates he is still logged on, I hope I didn't scare away this OP.

Just asked for what we always ask for in order to better help.

• Adam Machanic (4/27/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/27/2010)

Not only do you see a lot of homework/test questions here on SSC, but I have seen quite a few of freelance jobs advertised on freelancerer.com for school projects. Instead of doing the work themselves, they'd rather pay someone else to do the work for them.

And these are the people who will be expected to run our governments, businesses, etc?? It boggles the mind... I'm going to go build a bomb shelter so that I have somewhere to hide when our society crumbles...

What do you think I have 15 acres of woods for?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Don't hide, Adam, learn to manage. These people will be doing the SQL Server equivalent of "do you want fries with that" as you point them in the right direction.

• What do you think I have 15 acres of woods for?

Woods are good. They provide fuel for fire and draw game to your vicinity.

You also need access to fresh water and a hilltop with clear fields of fire in all directions.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/27/2010)

Don't hide, Adam, learn to manage. These people will be doing the SQL Server equivalent of "do you want fries with that" as you point them in the right direction.

Actually, they're the ones with the managerial skills, not me. They've already figured out how to get others to do their bidding. I'm the guy who'll be in the back operating the frialators...

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• By the way, Adam. I thought you said that you didn't have time to keep up with The Thread about a dozen posts ago. Be careful, because it can be addictive. Watch out you don't turn into a Threadhead.

By the way, Adam. I thought you said that you didn't have time to keep up with The Thread about a dozen posts ago. Be careful, because it can be addictive. Watch out you don't turn into a Threadhead.

Oh yeah, don't worry about me. I can quit whenever I want. I'll unsubscribe any day now.

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

You also need access to fresh water and a hilltop with clear fields of fire in all directions.

Check, check, check, check... Ammo, canned food, scout skills....

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (4/27/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (4/27/2010)

Check, check, check, check... Ammo, canned food, scout skills....

I have experience using Shotgun and rifles... I can hunt for food.... Can I join the bunker ?? My island is not the right place to be when SH** hits the fan...:hehe:

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 14,851 through 14,865 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply