Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gail - welcome back... hope your break refreshed you!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Luke L (4/29/2010)

Tom.Thomson (4/29/2010)

Dave Ballantyne (4/29/2010)

We can hate them both. Besides, they won't stop sending us beer. If you drink it, they'll keep exporting it.

You can always mark you share for my attention, ill happilly keep it this side of the pond 😉

You could always pass it on to Steve after you'd finished with it, it will still taste better than US beer, and we need the export trade. (I wonder how much they'd be willimg to pay for Gordon?)

Bah there are plenty of breweries in American making wonderful beer, it's really unfortunate that they only ship ones to you from the large commercial breweries making American light lagers that do taste like something served on tap in the loo. We just like hops a lot more than you silly CAMRA folks...

Cheers,

-Luke.

HOPS! HOPS! Yay, HOPS!

Proof the goddess loves us.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• tosscrosby (4/29/2010)

Lynn Pettis (4/28/2010)

And the school work continues.

That time of year, final papers/projects due. Cheap, easy way out. Pity the poor company who sees a degreed young person and makes him/her/it? their next DBA! And I am not besmirching all young folks, just the lazy ones.

Pity them - good for us.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (4/29/2010)

Guys, go and check this out. Either we have a measuring error or this guy is dealing with the single largest SQL Server installation I've heard about.

He's backing up a 100TB log in 50 seconds? Am I wrong in thinking "WOW"?

That is one amazing database.

Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (4/29/2010)

Grant Fritchey (4/29/2010)

Thanks. I'll pass it on if you haven't already.

I replied on Ask, but thanks for posting the thread reference there too.

I don't usually post on Ask because every time I click 'log in' it takes me back to SSC, and I have to fill in all my details again (including date of birth and country!). Very tedious.

That happens to me every time my cookies get flushed. It would be nice to auto-login if you are going there from SSC and are currently logged in.

Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (4/29/2010)

Gail - welcome back... hope your break refreshed you!

Ha - if you call masters work refreshing:-D

Learn Extended Events

• Luke L (4/29/2010)

Bah there are plenty of breweries in American making wonderful beer, it's really unfortunate that they only ship ones to you from the large commercial breweries making American light lagers that do taste like something served on tap in the loo. We just like hops a lot more than you silly CAMRA folks...

Cheers,

-Luke.

I've been fed US beers (by American gentlemen who claimed to be beer experts) in LA, Menlo Park, SF, Seattle, Denver, Boston, Cambridge, New York, Newark and a couple of places whose names I don't recall in New Hampshire, and it all made my sad memories of German hellesbier and the nastier French concoctions seem wonderful by comparison. I tried switching to whisky, but the barmen all seemed to think that Glenfiddich was good Scotch (except in New Hampshire, which was even worse) so that didn't work either. Tried the Guiness, but whatever was in the American version ruled that out pretty quickly (how do the Boston Irish survive?). The Californan red wines were sweet enough to use as desert wines, the rosés were only marginally better, and the "dry" whites could usefully be used to sweeten sugar. Almost went tea-total, but guessed correctly that even in the US a pink gin would be ok (because the angostura would be imported and even if the gin was brewed in the local bathtubs the angostura would mask its taste) so avoided that terrible fate. I guess I must just have been in the wrong towns.

Tom

• Makes you wonder... Here, the OP (with 1800+ points) can't pull apart two simple nested cursors with 5 subqueries in that last nest into some reasonable code. And here, he seems to know what he's talking about. :w00t:

Wayne

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    Performance Problems

• WayneS (4/29/2010)

Makes you wonder... Here, the OP (with 1800+ points) can't pull apart two simple nested cursors with 5 subqueries in that last nest into some reasonable code. And here, he seems to know what he's talking about. :w00t:

And he considers what you wrote "complex"?????? :blink:

• Lynn Pettis (4/29/2010)

WayneS (4/29/2010)

Makes you wonder... Here, the OP (with 1800+ points) can't pull apart two simple nested cursors with 5 subqueries in that last nest into some reasonable code. And here, he seems to know what he's talking about. :w00t:

Hmmmm, I thought the original was more difficult to understand.

Learn Extended Events

• That guy has been around for some time. I have seen him before giving answers to questions.

-Roy

WayneS (4/29/2010)

If you wanted to be evil, you could wrap Wayne's elegant code in a cursor, lob the grenade into a forum, and watch everyone duck for cover. That being said, I have come around...in that rare case, every so once in a while, when there is NO set based solution, a cursor will do. (there...I said it :w00t: )

Gaby

• GabyYYZ (4/29/2010)

If you wanted to be evil, you could wrap Wayne's elegant code in a cursor, lob the grenade into a forum, and watch everyone duck for cover.

That would be interesting.

That being said, I have come around...in that rare case, every so once in a while, when there is NO set based solution, a cursor will do. (there...I said it :w00t: )

Very true.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/29/2010)

GabyYYZ (4/29/2010)

If you wanted to be evil, you could wrap Wayne's elegant code in a cursor, lob the grenade into a forum, and watch everyone duck for cover.

That would be interesting.

That being said, I have come around...in that rare case, every so once in a while, when there is NO set based solution, a cursor will do. (there...I said it :w00t: )

Very true.

Agreed, cursors have their place, there just is just a lot of places where they are inappropriate.

WayneS (4/29/2010)

Roy Ernest (4/29/2010)

That guy has been around for some time. I have seen him before giving answers to questions.

My point exactly... he's been around, answering questions, but can't make a simple set-based query from those relatively simple cursors. Nothing "complex" about it at all.

Wayne

Links:
    Performance Problems

Viewing 15 posts - 14,926 through 14,940 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply