Arithmetic with Aggregated field

• I am currently trying to do create a computed field which uses an aggregated field as one of the elements to produce the computed data. My output in the computed field appears to be incorrect. I am not sure if my syntax is correct. Can anyone shed some light on why this may be. I have added the script below:

SELECT

COUNT (Spells.Spell_Episode_ID35) AS [NO. Of Attendances]

,(dbo.udf_IP_POD(Costed.Method_of_Admission_Code, Costed.Patient_Classification_Code)) AS POD

,CM.Practice_Code

,COUNT(Spells.Spell_Episode_ID35)/GPP.PRACTICE_POPULATION * 1000 AS [Attendance by 1000]-- calculation to get rate per 1000

FROM

nwcscmdsdata.dbo.Costed_2008_Inpatient_Spells35_xMFF Costed INNER JOIN

nwcscmdsdata.dbo.Inpatient_Spells35 Spells ON Costed.Episode_ID = Spells.Spell_Episode_ID35 INNER JOIN

PBC_Providers ON dbo.udf_providerCode(Costed.PAS_data_source) = PBC_Providers.providerCode INNER JOIN

IP_Tariff ON Costed.HRG35_Code = IP_Tariff.HRG INNER JOIN

nwcscmdsdata.dbo.Inpatient_CMDS_Data CM ON CM.Episode_ID = Costed.Episode_ID

LEFT OUTER JOIN BRENTREPODB02.Olympus.dbo.GP_PRACTICE_POPULATION GPP ON GPP.GP_PRACTICE_CODE = CM.Practice_Code

WHERE

(Costed.Purchaser_ID LIKE '5K5%') AND

(Spells.month_of_end_of_spell BETWEEN '200804' AND '200903') AND

(NOT ISNULL(Costed.Contract_Line_Number,'') = 'NONCHARGE')

GROUP BY CM.Practice_Code

,dbo.udf_IP_POD(Costed.Method_of_Admission_Code, Costed.Patient_Classification_Code)

,GPP.PRACTICE_POPULATION

• you are probably experiencing "integer" division.

Change

COUNT(Spells.Spell_Episode_ID35)/GPP.PRACTICE_POPULATION * 1000

To

1.0*COUNT(Spells.Spell_Episode_ID35)/GPP.PRACTICE_POPULATION * 1000

* Noel

• Thanks. It is working now.

• Here is the reason

http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/madhivanan/archive/2008/01/16/beware-of-implicit-conversions.aspx

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply