[ASK] Third Party with same functionality with PerformancePoint Server Planning & Budgeting

• Dear All,

I'm looking for third party with same functionalities with PerformancePoint Server Planning & Budgeting. Since PPS was discontinued, and Microsoft no longer have a tool for planning & budgeting, I think there should be a third party somewhere out there.

Any suggestions?

• There's a whole marketplace full of them, though there's been consolidation over the past few years. For example, Business Objects bought up one or two smaller players before SAP got them a couple years ago.

This probably isn't the place to go for that info, however, since it doesn't overlap with SQL Server database or BI topics very much. Good luck...

[font="Arial"]Are you lost daddy? I asked tenderly.
    Shut up he explained.
    [/font]
    - Ring Lardner

• Hi Cris, thanks for the reply.

I disagree with your statement that planning & budgeting is not highly related to BI. Over the last two years (start from 2007), Microsoft announced that PPS is official Microsoft BI Front End. This product consists of Analytic (ProClarity), Monitoring (BSM), and new planning and budgeting module.

I've been implementing Microsoft BI for almost 7 years, and I found that most of my clients are happy with PPS, and plan to use all the features in this product. Sadly, most of them start with analytic and monitoring. This year I have so many opportunities with PPS planning. And suddenly, started from 1 April 2009, Microsoft decided to merge the analytic and monitoring to MOSS and discontinued the planning module. Microsoft had given so many compensations to PPS user over the last 3 month.

Since the opportunities are still in the market, I think it's better to find a planning and budgeting module based on Microsoft's OLAP. I know there are similar products from Cognos and Hyperion, but in fact, the are our competitors.

• I agree that budget and planning tools are often marketed with business intelligence tools, and I know how anyone working with an orphaned product is disappointed by its demise. (In fact we may he looking into Sharepoint now that the Monitoring and Analytics are included.) I was just pointing out that on SSC.com there's very little PPS content. As it appears to be under the Sharepoint mantle now, maybe a community that focusses on that would be an additional place to ask. Best of luck to you.

[font="Arial"]Are you lost daddy? I asked tenderly.
    Shut up he explained.
    [/font]
    - Ring Lardner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply