Assigning a variable

• I am trying to DECLARE / Assign a variable depending on what is in another column. Example, in Column 'abc' if there is a 1, then it gets a 5 assigned in a variable, if there is a 2, then it gets 4 assigned to the variable, if there is a 3, then it gets a 0 assigned to the variable assigned to it. This need to happen to 4 different columns, and then the SUM of the different variables placed into a column named "Total" I have tried using a CASE statement, and IF ELSE Statement. Any assistnace with this would be greatly appreciated

Andrew

Example of CASE Statement

==================================================

USE DatabaseName

GO

SELECT 'Header Name Goes Here' =

CASE

WHEN greet = 1 THEN SET @greet_calc = 5

ELSE @greet_calc = 0

END

FROM TableName

GO

==================================================

Example of IF Statement

===================================================

IF

(SELECT (greet) FROM TableName WHERE greet = 1)

BEGIN

SET @greet_calc = 5

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @greet_calc = 0

END

====================================================

How long a minute is....
    Depends on what side of the bathroom door you are on.

• Please post in one area only - we check the topics daily, cross posting just makes it confusing for everyone.

Andy

• Not 100% sure what you are trying to do here. What it sounds like is you want to return a dataset with a summed total for 4 columns based on a case of conditions in each column. The way you are going about it will not work as you are doing. But so I am sure of what I am doing can you post example of the data and columns, the conditions for each and the expected outcome. Then I will have a better idea of what you need to be doing.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I have 4 different columns that contain only tinyint, 1,2,3 or 4. This is what I need this to be able to do, not replace the current numbers in the table, but determine the number in a conditional statement, and then with the condition, hold another number in a variable, for each record, and then SUM those values into a 5th column. I am not sure hot that I can add a picture of the table, or I would do that. If in Column named "score1" contains a number 4, relate that number to a score of 15(the score value may change at times, but the 1 thru 4 value will never change) In Column named "score2" contains a value of 3, relate that number to a score of 10, etc... accross all score columns. In a column named "ScoreTotal" add the numbers 15+10 to show 25 in the row for that record. I hope I was able to clearify to assist you. You may e-mail me at aliles@checkmarkinc.com I will then send you some screen snap shots.

Thanks

Andrew

How long a minute is....

• does this work

SELECT @greet1 = Score1,

@greet2 = score2,

@greet3 = score3,

@greet4 = score4,

@Total = score1 + score2 + score3 + score4

FROM

(

SELECT CASE Score1 WHEN 1 then 5

WHEN 2 then 4

WHEN 3 then 0

END As Score1,

CASE Score2 WHEN 1 then 5

WHEN 2 then 4

WHEN 3 then 0

END As Score2,

CASE Score3 WHEN 1 then 5

WHEN 2 then 4

WHEN 3 then 0

END As Score3,

CASE Score4 WHEN 1 then 5

WHEN 2 then 4

WHEN 3 then 0

END As Score4

FROM ScoreTable

) As Scores

• GRN is right except it doesn't look like you need the variable and you need to handle nulls if you table allows otherwise when you add a null to anything your column is null.

This should be closer

SELECT

score1,

score2,

score3,

score4,

(score1 + score2 + score3 + score4) as TotalScore

FROM

(

/* Note: The reason for else is so a value of 0 is set instead of null, if however fields are not nullable then do 4 position as ELSE 20*/

(CASE score1

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) AS score1,

(CASE score2

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) AS score2,

(CASE score3

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) AS score3,

(CASE score4

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) AS score4

FROM

ScoreTables

) As BaseScores

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thank You for your response and assistance. However, this is not working correctly I am afraid. I need this to permanently update the "TotalScore" Column for each record. There is already data in each of the "score#" columns. I am also getting an error around the First CASE statement. I have 3 different people working on this here, adn we cannot figure it out. I feel very bad that I cannot get this. We are at a loss. Thank You again for your assistance. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

How long a minute is....

• Ok here is how you would do the update.

Update ScoreTable SET TotalScore = (

(CASE score1

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) +

(CASE score2

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) +

(CASE score3

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END) +

(CASE score4

WHEN 1 THEN 5

WHEN 2 THEN 10

WHEN 3 THEN 15

WHEN 4 THEN 20

ELSE 0

END)

)

You stated however you are getting an error on the case statment. What is the error please and keep in mind the thens are my own items make sure you change appropriately but the structure should be as is. If you are needing to make other changes what are they and what exactly did you try?

• Thank You very much. It is working very well. I had to massage the code just a little, but it is calculating perfectly.

Thanks Again for all your assistance

Andrew 🙂

How long a minute is....

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply