Asterisk in varchar field

• I'm attempting to store a string of SQL in a varchar field. I want to include the '*'. The purpose is to use that line for dynamic SQL later. My predecessor must have figured this out because she has it stored in the field currently and I just need to modify it.

I've tried this:

SELECT [ValidationRule]='[PERFORMINGPROVIDERID]=COALESCE(NULLIF([PERFORMINGPROVIDERID],''),NULLIF([PERFORMINGPROVIDERNPI],''),NULLIF([BILLINGPROVIDERNPI],''),REPLICATE('*', 10))'

This produces error:

Operand data type varchar is invalid for multiply operator.

I've tried single quotes, double quotes, QUOTENAME, the ASCII code -- * . I can't get it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• I don't see anything wrong there. Is that the entire select? Could you perhaps post the table structure and just one row of data (as an insert) so that I can test?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • All your single quotes must be escaped by doubling them:

SELECT [ValidationRule]

= '[PERFORMINGPROVIDERID]=COALESCE(NULLIF([PERFORMINGPROVIDERID],''''),NULLIF([PERFORMINGPROVIDERNPI],''''),NULLIF([BILLINGPROVIDERNPI],''''),REPLICATE(''*'', 10))'

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• I think what OP is looking for is double single-quotes as opposed to just single quotes or double quotes

''*''

instead of

'*'

or

"*"

Produces the following result:

[PERFORMINGPROVIDERID]=COALESCE(NULLIF([PERFORMINGPROVIDERID],'),NULLIF([PERFORMINGPROVIDERNPI],'),NULLIF([BILLINGPROVIDERNPI],'),REPLICATE('*', 10))

Is that correct?

• Dang! Not only did Eugene beat me, he corrected the rest. His code is correct.

• Ah, didn't notice the initial quote.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you all! I think part of my problem was Intellisense kept trying to add an additional single quote every time I tried to surround the single. So, if I put in '''' (4), it put '''''(5) and I didn't notice. I thought my problem was the asterisk and it was the single quotes all along. Blast it. Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply