Attach DB - Network Device Not Supported?

• Hi,

MSSQL 7 (old server)

MSSQL 2000 (new server)

I'm tring to re-attach a database file across a network to a new server. Due to decommissioning, the original server had to be renamed, and the MSSQL service fails when trying to re-start the db service (ie: looking for the original instance name) . I was hoping to reattach the db files as I can see the old files (.ldf and .mdf) via windows explorer. Has anybody come across this before during attempt to re-attach? (I get the same message if I move the files to various other locations ie: locally onto the new server)

Server: Msg 5110, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

File '\\oldserver\e$\mssql7\Data\LabData_Data.MDF' is on a network device not supported for database files.

Many thanks. Jeff

• Have you tried to copy the file from the old location and move it to the new location before trying to attach it?

mom

• When you move the files to the local server, make sure that you use the local path, not the UNC path. For example, don't use \\servername\e$\sql2000\ , use e:\sql2000

Kathi

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Jeff,

Normally SQL Server doesn't like database files on the network.  Tends to increase the problem of maintaining data integrity.

Microsoft does give a way to do this, however, that will bypass the error you received.  Try trace flag 1807 per:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304261

Let me reiterate their warning however:

"Because of the risks of network errors compromising database integrity, together with possible performance implications that may result from the use of network file shares to store databases, Microsoft recommends that you store database files either on local disk subsystems or on Storage Area Networks (SANs)."

Scott Thornburg

• If you want a site that does not give the very wise warning from MS, then check http://www.sql-server-performance.com/rd_traceflags.asp 

This just tells you what various trace flags do, but it is up to you to make sure they do not hurt you if used.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• The information provided by Scott is ultimate. I myself had my database running on a network drive for quite some time, and it affects performance and the risk of keeping the data files away from the SQL Server. It is highly unrecommended.

--Kishore

• Hi ... it worked, but the file had to be locally. It didn't like using the Network ...

Many thanks. Jeff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply