Attaching SQL Server 2000 database on SQL Server 2005 server

• Hello!

We are planning to migrate our multi terabyte SQL Server 2000 database by detaching data/log files on 2000 box and reattaching them on 2005. Has anyone experienced any issues with this process in general and databases of such size in particular? As far as I know, SQL Server will perform database conversion when attaching database on SQL 2005.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,
    Igor
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I know when you take a SS2000 database and restore it into SQL2005 it keeps it in SQL 2000 compatibility mode. You have to physically change it to SQL 2005 which is compatibility 9 level in order to take advantage of SQL 2005 stuff. I would assume that is the same with detach/attach as well.

• Thanks. I already know this. I was wondering if anyone has experienced problems attaching databases of tera byte size.

Igor

• Couple days ago we 've done this trick with 4 Tb database- no problems

• Thanks Yuri!

• You should have no problems.  However, if you ever want to go the other way (i.e., SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2000), you will have to do that with Bulk Copy Program.  It's not a lot of fun.

• Markus (1/23/2006)

I know when you take a SS2000 database and restore it into SQL2005 it keeps it in SQL 2000 compatibility mode. You have to physically change it to SQL 2005 which is compatibility 9 level in order to take advantage of SQL 2005 stuff. I would assume that is the same with detach/attach as well.

hi. Can I have a link regarding the above topic? about this compatibility mode.

thanks

• You will not face any such problems yet. I migrated 6.5 tbs database yesterday from 2000 to 2005 and just needed to change compatibility mode to 90.

ensure that you physical files are proper so before detaching run checkdb and full backup and update stats

do same after attaching

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply