Audting Who's Opening up reports using Reporting Services

• My comany has recently allowed VPN connectivity into our network to a business partner. I was tasked today with auditing what reports those users are viewing when they log onto Reporting Services.

Some of the reports use stored procedures that I could modify to log when it's run and by whom, but most use SQL statements.

Does anyone know a good way to create an audit trail in for what reports are being opened, and who's opening them, in Reporting Services?

Thanks,

Chris

• I still think Profiler is the best choice for something like this. You might be able to get this into the SSRS log.

• The report being run is in the URL so it can be caught in IIS logging.

The smoothest approach I can think of now would be to add a web service layer over the Reporting Services web service that logs the call and then calls the original web service. It would be pretty simple to do if you know a bit of C#.

• Thanks to both of you for these responses, both of those sound like very real potential solutions to the issue. If I go with C# I can hand it off to our C# developer so I'll try that first.

Thanks again,

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply