Auto Restart SQL-Server Agent

• Hi All,

We have few critical jobs running under our SQL-Server using SQL-Server Agent. We have enabled "Auto restart SQL-Server Agent if it stops unexpectedly" option in "Advanced tab" of SQL-Server Agent "Properties". Even though the option is enabled, because of some error the sql-server agent stopped and it did not start automatically. When i went through the log i found the following message stored in the log.

"SQLServerAgent could not be started (reason: Unable to connect to server '(local)'; SQLServerAgent cannot start)."

After this event, sql-server started successfully and sql-server agent did not start automatically. Can anyone guess the reason why this happened? We don't have Exchange server or outlook application installed in the server to enable the alert services. Can we have any other way to get the alert that the agent stopped, by not using operators?

Version: SQL-Server 2000 - SP1 running under Windows 2003 R2 - SP1.

Thanks,

Balakrishnan.K

• Does this work for you?

1. open enterprise manager.

2. go under management, right click the sqlserver agent, select properties

3. click on the connection tab (at the top).

4. change the sa password to the correct password (or select windows authentication-- not recommended).

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Or maybe this??

http://kbalertz.com/237604/Server-Agent-start-displays-error-18456.aspx

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Balakrishnan.K,

Have you had any success getting this fixed? I have the exact problem on one of my servers. I have made a few changes per the others posts and the provided website, but I have to wait a few hours for a window of opportunity to reboot the server to see the results.

Does anyone know if the BUILTIN\Adminstrators needs to be members of specific Server Roles?

Thanks,

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• By default, BUILTIN\Adminstrators, has sa role.

• SQL ORACLE (4/7/2008)

By default, BUILTIN\Adminstrators, has sa role.

Thanks. That is what is set (along with a few others) on the server I have problems getting this to work. Unfortunately, this didn't make any difference.

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply