autogrow is ON but ... not grow

• autogrow but ... not grow

I have a DB of 5000 mb

autogrow is ON in 200 MB

But, when DB is out of space, not grow ... and, if in this moment exists any run aplication, they never finish , errors are not reported.

DB will be autogrowing ???

Thanks a lot

• Use Enterprise Manager, expand down to the database. Right click on the database and select Properties. Go to the Data Files tab. What do you have set for "Maximum file size"?

-SQLBill

• Maximum file size = 6000

in SQL 7.0

• - sometimes the apps get a timeout because the allocation of the new space takes longer than the espected time.The allocation however is executed (unless the disk is full).

- is it your data-file(group) or you log-file(group) that runs out of space ?

Edited by - alzdba on 09/30/2003 12:01:31 AM

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Could it be that the actuall server has run out of space ? for example: the hard drive is full.

Sql will not allow the growth of files if a transaction has not been commited, it could be this.

• Could your transactions be causing it to grow over the 6000 MB size? If so, that would cause it to fail.

-SQLBill

• What ever the comments are posted in this forum by my friends are valid.

I will just like to add one more. When you have configured your database to grow automatically you forget that the space of the disk is something you haven't accounted for.

Say you have cofigured your database to grow at an rate of 10%. Now you have an HDD of 200GB. The database is corrently at 190 GB. It is running an application requiring more space. The application calls for space allocations but the HDD is full.

So your application will hang and no errors will be reported for long time.

Recommendation:- I will recommend that

1) Ensure that you always have the database on more than one drive with SCSI raid 10 or more

2) Keep the transaction log and Database on different drives

Hope it helps

Yogi

913-271-7330

• My HDD have 21 GB

Database 5 GB (5000 mb)

autogrow is ON in 200 mb

Maximum file size = 6 GB (6000 mb)

Apps NO get timeout, but not insert , update, etc.

The apps run about 6 hours ... DB no grows and apps never end (apps must do 30000 insert)

Finally i had to kill apps and I had to grow manually

Whats do you think about LOCKS ??

• use profiler to find out what's going on !

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• How much free space is on the drive, is the TempDB large and is the log file running out of room. If it becomes full and is not being truncated periodically then this will put a damper on things too.

• We had a similar problem with a SQL 7.0 database. If you've ruled out disk space and size restrictions, are you running log backups? There is a known problem with the log backup process stalling the autogrow command if by odd chance they overlap. When this occurs, restart the autogrow process by manually growing the database. The Microsoft solution to this problem is not to rely on autogrow but schedule a job to grow the database. See KB article Q315512 for more details. We have many databases over 5g but it has only occurred on the database we run frequent log backups on.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply