Autogrowth =None

• Hi Experts,

What it means when we sawa database file autogrowth as NONE?

We have a situation were getting error filegroup is full and when checked found that autogrowth is showing NONE.

I have added another file to primary filegroup but still getting error that no space for table_A in primary filegroup.

Please help

• Means the allocated space for the data file, is all you are providing.

NO additional growth can take place on a 100% full data file.

Change autogrow to a value of 25mb as an example, or x% to allow it to grow as needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Thanks Henrico for the quick response.

That means whatever the value we provide during the creation is the value it can grow? right

Creating another file in same filegroup will resolve this issue? the new file is in different drive and have given a good amount of space.

Or so we need to enable autogrowth to old file itself?

• Autogrow is set on files, not filegroups.

If you add another mdf (data file) enable autogrow on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Thanks again

What my doubt is my old file is set autogrowth=none and we are facing error i mentioned above.

Now i have created a new file in another drive and set it to autogrow

Will the above change resolve my issue or do i need to set the old file to autogrow?

PS:both file resides in same filegroup

• if in the same group it should use the new data file.

if you can afford some downtime, i would advise moving the original datafile to the disk with enough space, and set autogrow to enabled.

• Thanks a lot Henrico

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply