Automated Restore

• Interested to know views on this:

An SQL job will restore the database at a specified time (weekly). This db shouldn't be in use as it's test and will be restored before the 9am Monday start. However, you know that someone will have left their PC on and connected from Friday :angry:, the job will fail and Monday will start badly. :doze:

RESTORE DATABASE MyTestDb

FROM DISK = 'C:\MyProductionDb.bak'

WITH REPLACE,

MOVE 'MyTestDb_Data' TO 'D:\MSSQL\data\MyTestDb.mdf',

MOVE 'MyTestDb_Log' TO 'E:\MSSQL\data\MyTestDb.ldf'

So, do I preceed the restore script with some clever KILL SPID script?

Or

Do I put

ALTER DATABASE MyTestDb SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

• that is best option, I do the same thing...

🙂

Rajesh Kasturi

• Take it offline. If you make the DB single user there's a chance that someone will grab that single connection before the restore starts.

ALTER DATABASE MyDB SET OFFLINE WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

Then you can restore confident that no one can be using it at all.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes...That is TRUE..

GilaMonster is right...

Rajesh Kasturi

• I just kill any processes in that happen to be in the database before I execute the restore.

cursor loop through sys.sysprocesses where dbid = {yourdbid} and execute a dynamic kill command for any processes that you find.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• FNS (4/24/2009)

Interested to know views on this:

An SQL job will restore the database at a specified time (weekly). This db shouldn't be in use as it's test and will be restored before the 9am Monday start. However, you know that someone will have left their PC on and connected from Friday :angry:, the job will fail and Monday will start badly. :doze:

RESTORE DATABASE MyTestDb

FROM DISK = 'C:\MyProductionDb.bak'

WITH REPLACE,

MOVE 'MyTestDb_Data' TO 'D:\MSSQL\data\MyTestDb.mdf',

MOVE 'MyTestDb_Log' TO 'E:\MSSQL\data\MyTestDb.ldf'

So, do I preceed the restore script with some clever KILL SPID script?

Or

Do I put

ALTER DATABASE MyTestDb SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE

We've got pretty tight control over who can be connected to the server, so instead of SINGLE_USER, which as Gail has pointed out, can be slipped past, we use RESTRICTED_USER. Arrives at the same place.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks all for your suggestions.

Since this is only a copy of the live db for the developers to run their dev code against I've gone with the off-line approach. If the job fails half way through and the restore copy is unusable all that will happen is I'll need to manually run the restore as soon as I get in. 😎

This would only be a 20-30 minute delay and I'm usually in before them anyway. 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply