Automatic character replacement?

• Hello,

is there any possibility to switch off some kind of an automatic character replacement on the sql-server?

The problem is the following: in german we have this special character 'ß' (sz or rather ess-tsett) which is often replaced by 'ss' but it is not the same!

For example in the word 'Straße' (street). Sometimes you find it written as 'strasse', what is wrong if not in whole written in capital letters. But there seems to be no way to select the street names which are written with double-s only. I always get all the the street names containing '[sS]traße'. Replacing 'strasse' with 'straße' works in the end but looking for the few data spelled wrong is impossible.

The same just happened to me with the ascii letter 105 which looks like an i without a point on top: 'i'. Selecting something like '%'+char(105)+'%' in a name column finds more than half the table. Searching in this data copied to Excel finds immediately the one and only name written with 'i' instead of 'i'.

Or is it the case insensitivity of our database?

Thank you for any help.

Yours

Michael

• I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking. But maybe you need to read up a bit more on database collation?

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/sql/sql-development/questions-sql-server-collations-shy-ask/

"If I had been drinking out of that toilet, I might have been killed." -Ace Ventura

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply