Automatic detection of Schema changes

• Hello Guys,

I have a lot of databases to work with and need to keep track of all the changes. In my case, I need to copy backup files to remote DR site but as my backup files are huge, I cannot do it for all of them. Instead, if I can find a way where I would know which databases have more schema or schema changes it will be easy for me to copy just those backup files. I would want to ideally automate this as I cant keep looking into 60 databases daily. Can we write a script and use scheduling agent to run this script or do you guys know of any other tools which would do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nikhil

• toparsi (9/9/2008)

Hello Guys,

I have a lot of databases to work with and need to keep track of all the changes. In my case, I need to copy backup files to remote DR site but as my backup files are huge, I cannot do it for all of them. Instead, if I can find a way where I would know which databases have more schema or schema changes it will be easy for me to copy just those backup files. I would want to ideally automate this as I cant keep looking into 60 databases daily. Can we write a script and use scheduling agent to run this script or do you guys know of any other tools which would do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nikhil

I don't think I understand - you want to update your DR site with schema changes in the production databases, but not data changes? That is, you're trying to make sure you've got backups of DDL activity, but not DML activity?

I don't have a quick solution for you, but I can't help asking why you want such a thing...?

______
    Twitter: @Control_Group

• THanks for the reply,

I would want to do it for both DML and DDL but I need to find a way where I can get notifications whenever there is a schema change in a database. I also want to automate this process of receiving notifications. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nikhil

• You can buy a tool such as Idera's Compliance Manager. It will alert you about any number of SQL changes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply