AutoSorting

• To begin, I am using Access along with SQL Server.

I have a table with Projects in it.  This table has a column named Priority, where the Projects are prioritized.  The priorities range from approximately 1 to (no greater than)150.  And the projects that are not prioritized yet have a priority of 999.

Here is my question:  I would like for the user to be able to change the priority of a project and the stored procedure to automatically sort the rest of the projects accordingly.  For example, if you change a project's priority from 10 to 5, it would need the current project with a priority of 5 to move to 6, the current project with a priority of 6 to move to 7, and so on up to 10. 

Also, there might be gaps in the priorities.  For example, if you change a project's priority from 10 to 5, but there is no priority 7, it would only need to move 5 to 6, and 6 to 7, but not change the rest.

Can anyone help with this?  I am using Access and SQL Server.  I am looking for a stored procedure called from Access to do this.

• Hi Elizabeth,

This should give you some ideas and get you started...

--prepare and show example data

declare @project table (id smallint identity(1, 1), priority int)

insert @project

SELECT 4

UNION SELECT 5

UNION SELECT 6

UNION SELECT 8

UNION SELECT 9

UNION SELECT 10

UNION SELECT 14

select * from @project order by priority

--inputs (example)

declare @ProjectId int

declare @NewPriority int

set @ProjectId = 6 --i.e. priority 10

set @NewPriority = 5

--shift other projects

if exists (select * from @project where priority = @NewPriority)

begin

declare @EndPriority int

select @EndPriority = min(a.priority) from @project a left outer join @project b on a.priority = b.priority - 1 where a.priority >= @NewPriority and b.priority is null

update @project set priority = priority + 1 where priority between @NewPriority and @EndPriority

end

--shift this project

update @project set priority = @NewPriority where Id = @ProjectId

--show results

select * from @project order by priority

Ryan Randall

Solutions are easy. Understanding the problem, now, that's the hard part.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply