Available Space

• Is there a way to regain Available Space from a database other than Shrinking the database... which leads to index fragmentation.

• the only 2 ways i know of to reclame space is shrink the database and shrink the file. both of which fragment the indexes. if you rebuild the indexes after the shrink it you can recover some what but never like if you never shrank the database.

the other option is to rebuild the database by creating a new database with a smaller file, creating all the tables and keys, and finally inserting the data and recreating the indexes. (and copy all custom SP's, triggers, views ETC...)

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• rummings (3/22/2012)

Is there a way to regain Available Space from a database other than Shrinking the database... which leads to index fragmentation.

To reclaim that space to the OS, you would have to shrink (file or DB).

If possible, try to add disk space instead - but you probably already knew that.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply