AWE and Non-AWE Summary - is this correct ?

• I have created a summary below.

Is this correct ?

Case 1 : AWE and Multi-Instances

- statically use memory

- SQL Server can access/use 8GB of RAM for SQL Server.

Case 2 : AWE and no Multi-Instances

- dynamically use memory

- SQL Server can access/use 8GB of RAM for SQL Server.

Case 3 : Non-AWE and Multi-Instances

- dynamically uses memory

- SQL Server can access/use 2GB of RAM

Case 4 : Non-AWE and no Instances.

- dynamically uses memory

- SQL Server can access/use 2GB of RAM

• I believe that once you enabled AWE you are stuck with a static memory allocation. This is not a bad thing in my opinion. You also left out that with the /3GB switch SQL can use use 3g of 4g installed. And just to be complete, you can use memory above 16g by using /PAE and AWE but NOT the /3GB switch.

Andy

• Andy's absolutely right about having to assign memory once you enable AWE. But, keep this in mind, you're allocating, min/max memory limits.

Also, you can only take advantage of greater than 8GB of memory on Datacenter Server.

cabby

Always Learn!

• Don't forget you need to modify the SQL Server configuration of each instance running on an AWE enabled machine. e.g.

sp_configure 'awe enabled', 1

go

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

go

• In regards to awe and if enabled what is the impact on other instances of SQL Server 2K. Here it is from books online.

It is strongly recommended that you set a value for the max server memory option each time you enable AWE. Otherwise other applications or instances of SQL Server 2000 will have less than 128 MB of physical memory in which to run.

Also with AWE enable the following applies. In Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000, you can use the Microsoft Windows® 2000 Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) API to support up to a maximum of 64 gigabytes (GB) of physical memory. The specific amount of memory you can use depends on hardware configuration and operating system support.

Does this help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply