AWE Configuration Confusion

• I have two SQL Installations.

One installation on one server has AWE enabled. It is SQL 2005 64bit Enterprise on a Windows 2003 64bit Server. The Min Server mem is set to 2048 and Max Mem set to 6144. AWE is checked, enabled, and running. However, the sql account does not have locked pages in memory configured.

The other installation has AWE checked but it is not enabled. It is SQL 2005 64bit Enterprise on a Windows 2003 64Bit Server. The Min Server mem is set to 0 and the Max Mem is set to 5000. The SQL Account has locked pages in memory configured.

Both servers have 8Gig of memory.

In the first installation, how can AWE be enabled if the SQL account does not have locked pages in memory configured?

In the second installation, I can't get AWE enabled and running yet the SQL Account has locked pages in memory configured.

I don't understand why I can't enable AWE on the second server and I don't understand how AWE is really enabled on the first server.

I hope there is someone who can set me straight.

Thanks.

Patti

• AWE is not needed for 64-bit systems, however, you should configure lock pages in memory.

From the article below:

AWE is not required and cannot be configured on 64-bit operating systems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190673.aspx

• Ah... Jeremy beat me to it..

AWE is not relevant for 64-bit.. So no matter what it is set at it is ignored..

CEWII

• Thanks Guys. I read that 64bit AWE was already set regardless of the AWE setting but when I saw the first server configured like that I was thrown off. I had configured the 2nd server. I will set the 1st server to have locked pages in mem.

I really appreciate your help. You guys are awesome!!! 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply