AWE memory related

• Hi,

I have a query regarding the AWE memory.

A SQL 2000 enterprise edition server is running on Windows 2003 enterprise edition with 8GB of physical memory.

On looking into the memory tab of enterprise manager I find that SQL server is able to recognize the entire memory even when I have not enabled AWE and /pae switch. This is appearing strange because as per BOL SQl server cannot recognize any memory more than 2 GB without AWE , /3GB or /pae.

Any comments on this will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

kg

KG

• It might be able to see the memory but would not be able to use it without the switches.

You need to use the memory counters in perfmon if you want to check if AWE is working correctly (as far as i can remember).

cheers

dbgeezer

• Thanks dbgeezer. maybe u r right. I was wondering if this is a standard phenomenon for the enterprise manager accross all versions and if anybody else has noticed it.

KG

KG

• If you are using a sql server 64-bit veriosn, adding extra memory does not call to add the /3gb /pae swith to the boot.ini file. It recognizes the additional memory and uses it automatically.

--Kishore

• Thanks Kishore. I am using a 32 bit version only.

Regards,

kg

KG

• I have a question. I am planning to move a SQL 2000 that is in a box with 8 GB  from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003. Do I still need to set up SQL to recofnize the additional memory in 2003 ? Thanks,

Carlos

• See in BOL

"Managing AWE Memory"

• I wrongly assumed I didn't need additional setup for W2K3 and MSSQL Server 2000 32-bit. I still had to setup AWE as I have done before--especially using the max and min server memory settings. Go look at the MSSQL Performance Counters under Memory for total server memory and target server memory. Without setting it up, and using dynamic memory, I could only get a 16 GB machine to target 1.7 GB. With AWE, I have it setup to target 14.8 GB, and it does, and it does work better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply