AWE SETTINGS

• Hi,

i have enable the awe on the sqlserver and given min memory 1024MB,maximum memory 6124MB .after enabling the awe i have run dbcc memory status command in that i t showing awe allocated is 0.

my machines has 8GB RAM.

Any help highly appreciated...........

• What edition of SQL? What OS? 64bit? 32 bit?

Do you have the /pae switch in the boot.ini file?

Did you restart the SQL instance after enabling AWE?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

its an enterprise edition, windows2003server and 32-bit.

yeah i have /pae switch in the boot.ini file.

i have restarted the server after enabling.

• dbcc memory status command in that it is showing awe allocated is 0.

AWE memory is dynamically allocated according to the needs of your environment. Stress your server and you will see an increase.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Also keep in mind that AWE benefits only the data cache; other parts of memory utilization, such as procedure cache, do not benefit.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• awe is not allocated dynamically, setting awe on a x32 server disables dynamic memory management and sql server will take all the memory up to the max memory setting. a simple look at task manager will show total memory usage ( not processes memory which doesn't show awe memory )

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• i have ru dbcc memory status commad and sp_configure after enabling the AWE.its just showing AWE allocated as zero.

• Does your SQL Server service account have "Lock pages in memory" rights?

Some useful info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274750

• Yes SQL Server service account has "Lock pages in memory" rights.

• there are numerous ways to check server memory I've never bothered with this counter - run this query and see what you get

use master

go

select counter_name ,cntr_value,cast((cntr_value/1024.0)/1024.0 as numeric(8,2)) as Gb

from dbo.sysperfinfo with (nolock) where counter_name like '%server_memory%'

go

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• When you run sp_configure does it show AWE Enabled Run Value = 1?

What SQL Version 2k or 2k5?

AWE Run Value needs to be = 1

/PAE needs to be set

Locked Pages in mem needs to be set.

With all these set reboot the server - to be sure. /PAE requires a reboot and AWE a stop\restart of SQL services.

You can run Perfmon to check memory usage - Use SQL SERVER:Memory Manager and select 'Target Server Memory(KB)' and 'Total Server Memory (KB)' - they should match each other and match your max setting. Keep in mind SQL will take the memory as the load on the server increases, so if you just rebooted you need to allow for the memory to build. But once it is there it will take all the memory given to it.

Does task manager show all the memory as being seen - maybe a hardware issue?

What SQL and OS service packs are installed?

• I had an add on question for this. I run into a similar issue, I have everything set and the value in sp_configure is set to 1 in the run value.

I wanted to know:

If I have a 2 node cluster and I fail over, will this enable the setting, assuming that windows is already recognizing the extra memory? Or do I have to stop the service all together? It's a big deal for us to down SQL for even 1 minute as we have continuous results posting to it and failing over is basically an enterprise wide process that takes quite a bit of time, coodination, and effort.

-Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply