Back Up Fails - Server Permissions

• I have SQL 2005 Enterprise installed as a default and a named instance. I have Administrator access to the server. I have sysadmin access to both Instances of SQL.

I have created a Back Up Maintenance Plan on the default Instance, owned by myself and which runs without problem.

There is a similar Back Up Maintenance Plan on the named Instance, again owned by myself which fails. It fails with a messaage that the plan owner (myself) does not have access to the server. However, I am already logged on to the server with that Id and also logged in to SQL as that user. Remember that all works well, in the same circumstance on the default instance.

I have rebooted the server, with no effect.

All seems very strange. Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks

Colin

• Colin Betteley (1/13/2010)

I have SQL 2005 Enterprise installed as a default and a named instance. I have Administrator access to the server. I have sysadmin access to both Instances of SQL.

I have created a Back Up Maintenance Plan on the default Instance, owned by myself and which runs without problem.

There is a similar Back Up Maintenance Plan on the named Instance, again owned by myself which fails. It fails with a messaage that the plan owner (myself) does not have access to the server. However, I am already logged on to the server with that Id and also logged in to SQL as that user. Remember that all works well, in the same circumstance on the default instance.

I have rebooted the server, with no effect.

All seems very strange. Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks

Colin

Colin,

Can u post the exact error details (By viewing the job history)

Does the sqlserver agent has access on ur backup folder ?

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• "The owner [ login name] of Job Back Up.Subplan_1 does not have server access".

Please note that I am already logged onto the server with that login.

Yes SQL has access to the Directory.

Thanks.

• So you mean that Job Owner does not have permissions on the Server?

Have you made sa as the Owner (If sa is not disabled) and tried?

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I can change the user andit runs. The real question is why SQL does not recoognise the login I used to access the server in the first place.

• I think you have things setup correctly, but make sure that the login has access to both instances. Access to one does not mean access to the other instance. It gets confusing now that we have multiple instances, but each one is separate.

Make sure that there is no proxy setup, and the agent account used works on that instance. I don't believe it's the owner that is used during execution, but the agent account or a proxy.

do other jobs work on that instance?

• You may also want to check that the agent account for the named instance has administrative permission on the server if you are using a domain account to run the service.

• Thanks for all the replier! Unfortunately have still been unable to resolve the issue. Google searches come up with solutions such as restarting the SQL Agent, SQL or the Server itself. None of these work.

As this is a fresh build we have taken the decision to rebuild the server and start again, as clearly something (unknown) is awry somewhere. Not a great option I know, but once the seed of doubt is sown and you have this option......... I would hate to get 3 months into development for this issue to reoccur, not be able to resolve it and then be in a real mess. 🙂

Again, thanks.

Colin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply