Back up & Restore

• Hi All,

I am a new member of this Site. I am facing a problem about Restore database. The Problem is I am having sql server 2000 Database Backup and i want to restore to Sql server 2005 database. I dont know how to do this ? I dont know this possible or not?

if it possible plz suggest me ur valueable information , the OS is Ex/Vista anything is ok...

Regards,

kannak........

• You can easily restore SQL 2000 backups to a SQL 2005 server. The only thing you have to check is that all your logins are on the other server. If you have to transfer all the users look at this article how to export the users: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/246133

After the restore the database will be in SQL 2000 compatibility mode. If you want to use functionality of SQL 2005 you have to change the compatibility mode to "SQL Server 2005 (90)". You can do this by goign to the properties of the database, go to "Options" and change the "Compatibility level".

• Keep in mind that you cannot restore from 2005 back to 2000. I know it wasn't part of your question but might be relevant to whatever else you are doing.

• homebrew01 (7/24/2009)

Keep in mind that you cannot restore from 2005 back to 2000. I know it wasn't part of your question but might be relevant to whatever else you are doing.

And this is true wether or not you change the compatibility level of the database. Once restored to SQL Server 2005, it is essentially a SQL Server 2005 database.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply