Backout SQL Hot Fix (problems)

• I have been attempting to backout the hot fix without success. I get to the point of rebuilding the master and following error occurs.

"Rebuild master failed with error -1"

Has anyone backout the hot fix successfully.

I called Microsoft and explained the problem..The reason for this error, when rebuildm.exe tries to rebuild the master on your machine, it need to copy the master, msdb, model... from the CD. It cannot because these files are marked read only. The work around would be to copy the folder from the cd on to you hard drive, change the read only property then rebuildm.exe runs ok. There is in the KB artical (q273572) that explains this for 7.0 but it work for all version for obvious reasons.

What troubles me is if this is a known bug, why couldn't MS point this out in the backout instructions within the hot fix. I wasted almost 1.5 days trying to work through this. Maybe in the long run I learned more about hot fixes and patches.who knows.

I hope this info helps others and if you need additional info, let me know. You can reach me at my email.

arun.modasra@empireblue.com.

Edited by - agm0a0 on 08/22/2003 06:54:12 AM

• I applied SP4 and the MS03-031 patch to a server running SQL Server 7.0 with SP3. SQL Server began hanging or crashing several times a day with "Error: 1203, Severity: 20, State: 1 Process ID 15 attempting to unlock unowned resource KEY..." messages. I decided to backup all databases, detach the application database, un-install and re-install SQL Server 7.0, apply SP3, and restore the system databases from a backup taken prior to SP4.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply