Backup and Restoration [ 3 problems which iam facing]

• Dear All,

I have a sql 2000 live server which has 15 databases. I have 3 questions plz clarify my doubts. As i new to sql server plz help me out.

1. Some of the databases are having the same logical names but the physical filenames are different.How can i change the logical names for the database.

Ex: First DATABASE NAME:   dbasea

LogicalName          PhysicalFileName

db_data               e:\databases\dbasea_1.mdf

db_log                 e:\databases\dbasea_2.ndf

Second database name: dbaseb

Logical Name             Physical file name

db_data                  e:\databases\dbaseb_1.mdf

db_log                    e:\databases\dbasea_2.ndf

Now my question is how can i change the logical filenames on the live server.

2. I take database full backup twice a week and differential every 3 hrs. And i will restore the last fullbackup and last night 12.30 backup to a standby server every day through schedule job. If i cannot change the logical names on the live server atleast tell me how to change it on the standby server.

3. In the standby server there is no e drive so iam moving the files while restoring using the move command to d drive. Is there any other method to do this. Does the time taken for normal restoration process and restoration with move option is same.

4. suppose if i had taken the full backup on 25th evening 6 o clock. And differential backup at 6.00am on 26th. I had restored these to a standby server on 26th morning. And on 27 th iam doing the same process ie taking the 25th full backup and 27th morning 6 o clock diff. Instead of that can i directly apply the differential backup of 27th on to the standby server.

Thanks  & Regards

Chandra Mohan N

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Question 1 Yes.

DATABASE [AIM] MODIFY FILE (NAME=N'tAIM_Data1', NEWNAME=N'tAIM_Data')

GO

Question 2 See 1

Question 3 The move cost is minimul.  Their is also SP_ATTACH_db

4. Yes You can apply the differentials after the initial full.  You can actualy apply the last differential.A differential backup creates a copy of all the pages in a database modified after the last database backup.  Apply the logs after the differential.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply