Backup database causes error "no disk in the drive" to appear on production server

• When trying to Backup a db from EM on production server following sqlserver.exe application popup appears:

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive A.

This started the day a guy on another project backuped or restored a very small database from floppy drive.

Found following kb: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281345&sd=tech

but would rather not change the proposed registry setting because it would not only affect sqlserver but also all other services on the machine.

After a sql trace I found that following actions occurr when I push the button that cause the popup to appear:

xp_instance_regread N HKEY_CURRENT_USER, N Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer, N LastBackupFileDir -> have taken a look at the registry but the key-value pair LastBackupFileDir doesn't seem to exist.

Next in trace is xp_availablemedia for which of course no T-sql is available since it is an extended proc.

Since the message started popping up after putting a disk in the drive my guess is it can be solved by removing some registry value or msdb record...

Has anyone experienced the same problem and is there anohter solution than the one proposed by the above mentioned kb?

thx in advance...

• Where are you taking backups ? Is it on a local or remote machine ?

--Kishore

• The popup appears always on the desktop of the production system and in following situations:

- backup from EM on local machine

- backup from EM on other machine with this instance registered

The popup does not appear when backing up through maintenance plan

• It sounds as if the backup to the floppy disk (didn't know anyone still used these ) was done directly rather than to a predefined backup device.  SQL stores the last backup file location as it's default location for subsequent backups, which means you'll always get this message unless you have a floppy disk in the drive.

To fix it you'll need to put a floppy disk in the drive and then select backup, you should see the filename in the lower window which will no doubt be pointing at the floppy drive.

Remove that entry and add a new location (on any logical drive), it's not as if it's going to take up loads of room seeing as it fits on a floppy disk.

After you've done the backup you should then have managed to get rid of the annoying messages.

• Mike,

I tried this approach but there was no filename pointing at the floppy drive. I removed the entry and added a new location on logical drive e and took a backup.

Unfortunately after removing the floppy the popup showed again

The server is administered from here, but I have to ask the client to pop in/remove a floppy everytime - and yes, to my own personal disbelief they also still have some floppies lying around

Have googled a bit and found an ancient post on dbforums from someone who had the same problem and tried the same thing without result:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:j1bFVmD0nEkJ:dbforums.com/arch/7/2002/9/507441+sql+server+popup+%22There+is+no+disk+in+the+drive.+Please+insert+a+disk+into+drive+A:%22&hl=nl&client=firefox-a

any other suggestions? thx in advance...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply