Backup database/cube

• Hi all,

I'm wondering is there a manner to backup (not archive) a database/cube (structure+data) ?

This is because sometimes I have internal errors when processing a cube/database and I don't won't to start all over again.

I thought I could just backup the files in the data folder...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bart

• When you archive the database it stores the structure and the data.

If you just backup the files you have to backup the repository too.

• Hi,

How can I backup the repository too ? Can this be done directly from AS or do I have to use MS SQL 2000 to do the job ?

Regards,

Bart

• The repository is held in a file called msmdrep.mdb unless it has been migrated, in which case it could be held within the MSDB database

• What do I have to do when my database/cube

is damaged?

Do I just have to remove the damaged files and copy the backed up files (+ repository *.mdb)to their original place? What with the repository. what if anything changed after the backup... Do I lose that information ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bart

• Not entirely sure, not used msmdrep to recover. Assume backup msmdrep at same time as cube files so restore them all to same point in time. Although this will effect all cubes ! Personally always use indiv cube archive which works a treat....unless your cube is over 4gb I think it is in which case it cant do it so you need to partition.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply