Backup DB structure

• I have an unusual situation where I want to be backing up the structure, views, stored procs etc, but not the data for one particular database. Is there a simple way to do this? The database is essentially a staging place for ETL, the important part for recovery are all the objects rather than the data.

Thanks!

• it's actually pretty easy; right click on the specific database in Management Studio's Object Explorer.

select Tasks>>Generate Scripts.

a script wizard comes up, where you can simply check a checkbox that says "script all objects int eh selected database"

a dialog comes up after that to allow you to select a few more options about the script output ,

a couple more clicks and you are good to go.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Is the schema frequently changing?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• First, the schema does not change frequently. I have used the scripting method at times. I am actually not sure what I would like to arrive at is possible.

I want to keep this as a backup file, so it can be restored in the same fashion. Really this is only for a combination of DR and not confusing the other staff here. (We don't have DBAs, just developers who pretend to be DBAs) For this I really should keep the processes for recovering the same for this db as all the others, it just seems to me to be an overkill of effort when the data for this single db is not important for DR.

It is by no means critical to do it this way, it is more of a way to reduce the duration of the backups some.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply