Backup Error

• Hi,

Would anyone be able to tell me why the following error would have occurred

Many Thanks

Graeme

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4213: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot allow BACKUP LOG because file 'MyDATA' has been subjected to nonlogged updates and cannot be rolled forward. Perform a full database, or differential database, backup.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

• Hi Graeme,

quote:

Would anyone be able to tell me why the following error would have occurred

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4213: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot allow BACKUP LOG because file 'MyDATA' has been subjected to nonlogged updates and cannot be rolled forward. Perform a full database, or differential database, backup.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

no real answer, but from time to time I get this message, too. Performing a differential backup always solves it. Well, no satisfying solution, though. But this happens only to one less important db, so I let things go.

All I was able to figure out was that it might have something to do with WRITETEXT command. But this you can read in BOL.

Actually, I had a thread about it, but cannot find it at the moment. Maybe later?

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• Did you run the BACKUP LOG mydata WITH TRUCATE_ONLY (or NO_LOG) at any time?

Let's say you do a FULL backup. Then changes happen (transaction log begins increasing). You truncate the log. Now you try to do a BACKUP LOG..... Well not all the transactions exist anymore. Some were lost during the truncation. MS SQL Server is 'smart' enough to let you know backing up the log would be a waste of time.

-SQLBill

• Thanks Frank, Thanks SQLBill.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply