Backup failing - where to look for cause

• I have backups failing for no apparent reason. I checked in the error log, event viewer (system and application) and the job history. Is there anywhere else I can look for information? I believe that it's an issue with I/O, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing information hidden somewhere on the server. Thanks!

• Does it not show that there was an error in the SQL Agent error log?

-Roy

• It does show an error, but it just says the job fails. Very generic message.

• check the sql server log

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Can you try creating an output file for the job step and then run the job. If the job fails we would be able to get some more information from the output file.

M&M

• Could you post the generic error you are getting?

-Roy

• Found the issue...it's an iscsi error. Gotta love left hand! There wasn't any pertinent info in the sql logs, event viewer, etc. that indicated the storage error. The main symptom was that the job was taking twice as long to complete and ended up failing.

• Good to hear that you fixed your problem. Was this backup job that was failing an individual job, or was it part of a DB Maintenance Plan?

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• It was part of a maintenance plan, and it was a little tricky to figure out because some databases were backing, but the larger one was the one failing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply