Backup failure

• I have SQL2008 (10.0.1600.22 (X64) developer Edition) on Windows 2003 sp2 cluster. When I back up a database (10 GB), most of the time, it fails. The errorlog says: Read on "E:\test.mdf" failed: 170(The requested resource is in use.)

I have used handle/procexp to check and the only holding process is sqlservr.exe.

What is the possible process holding the mdf file? How to find it?

I have tried a very small database and it works fine. If I keep trying backups for that 10 GB DB, it works only very few times randomly.

• How are you backing up? SQL native backup?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It sounds like you're trying to backup the individual database files. You can't. Actually, I'm surprised you were able to even with small database files.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I am backing up the database not the data file. I used SQL native backup, backup with compression, and even litespeed backup, either through GUI or T-SQL, no luck. It works occasionally only if I keep trying.

Why complaining MDF file is in use? What process could lock it against sqlservr?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply