BACKUP LOG WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY

• 1) BACKUP LOG TestDB WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY will break the LSN.

I understand that we have to take the fresh complete backup after running the above SQL statement otherwise we can't restore T-log backups which are taken after log truncation.

Rajesh Kasturi

• Truncating the log breaks the log chain. Once you're run it, you can't take any more log backups until you take a full or diff backup. They fail with the error

Msg 4214, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no current database backup.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • correct

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• If you have a question, please list it. We do not want statements only posted here. You should have asked if what you think is true and not just left it as a statement.

• Thanks for the reply, So if the database is configured for log shipping or mirroring, after the log truncation we should take complete backup or diff backup other wise log shipping will fail.

again thanks for you reply.

Rajesh Kasturi

• begs the question,

if you're implementing log shipping, why are you truncating the log?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• valid question, Assume that My log shipping backup job configured to run for every 4 hours. Assume that 1:00 AM 5:00 AM like that, my log file was placed on d drive and d drive capacity is 10 GB

between 1:00 AM and 5:00 AM, REBUILD INDEX or any activity which causes the log file growth, unexpectedly my log file occupied 9.5 GB so I have only 500 MB free space. Assume that there is another database .mdf file was placed on the same drive..

Now my data file can't grow ...

at this point I believe only the way is I should truncate the log file, to get free space on D drive and allow other data files to grow..

Rajesh Kasturi

• After log truncation I did T-Log backup I got the below message

There is no current database backup. This log backup cannot be used to roll forward a preceding database backup.

Processed 2 pages for database 'testdb', file 'testdb_log' on file 2.

BACKUP LOG successfully processed 2 pages in 0.631 seconds (0.021 MB/sec).

Rajesh Kasturi

• by truncating the log you have broken the lsn chain. You will be able to backup the log again but as the message says you wont be able to roll forward through the logs for recovery purposes, you will need to take another full backup to start the lsn chain again.

You have also broken log shipping as you cannot roll forward through the logs as there are missing lsns, so you will need to reinitialise logshipping via full backup restore on the secondary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• An option might be to change the Recovery model of the database to Bulk Logged before you rebuild your indexes, and then change it back to full once that's completed. This will mean that not as much gets logged in the TL when you rebuild your indexes so it shouldn't grow quite so much, but you can still perform your transaction log backups. If you still have a problem with the physical size of your TL once you've done your index rebuild then backup the log and use dbcc shrinkfile to free up some space - or ask for a bigger D: drive 😉

• The error message you posted suggests that you are using SQL Server 2000, not 2005. SQL Server 2005 is 'smarter' in that it will prevent you from making a useless transaction log backup. Not so with SQL Server 2000.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• I always fight with system and network engineers to add more space, they never understand DBA problems.

Rajesh Kasturi

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply