Backup Optimization

• Hi,

I've just finished testing our backups with varying BUFFERCOUNT and MAXTRANSFERSIZE settings, and for our databases (with Hyperbac), have found that a BUFFERCOUNT of 50 and MAXTRANSFERSIZE of 4MB shaves upto 25% off backup times.

Is there a way to configure these as settings as a global default, so that all subsequent backups use it? I don't want to have to change all our existing maintenance plans to use a script, rather than the built in backup task.

We're running 64bit SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition, SP3. 128GB RAM

Thanks,

Andrew

• To my knowledge, this needs to be part of the backup command. I don't think there's a way to set a default value for all backups. I'm doing some checking though to see if I can determine otherwise.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• OK. Thanks for your help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply