Backup Problem

• Hi,

I have the following backup strategy:

A complete db backup every night at 1:00 am and trans. log backup ervey hour.

Our management offer me to change it to the following situation (because db size is growing very fast . now it is 27gb):

A complete db backup once a week and trans. log backup ervey hour.

I want to know whether it is a reliable backup method or not?

and what may happen if i lost one of trans. log? Is there a way to restore a db when one or two or ........ of the trans log is lost?

SaNaZ

• I woul add also a differential backups (say 2-3 times per week), to increase reliability and efficiency..

cheers

Zoran

• If you're missing a transaction log backup you can only restore up to the one before the missing one. If you do a full once a week and log every hour, if the problem happens at the end of the week you have to restore the full first, then a LOT of tlogs. Zoran is correct that using a differential backup during the week is a good way to fix this.

Couple things you might want to look at. Why/how is you db growing so fast? Could be that some of that stuff is static and could be moved to another db. Or that you're auditing and never removing any old history. There's nothing wrong with doing a full backup once a week, but I wouldnt move to that model unless you truly have to. Backups can be done with users working. How long is it taking to do? Could be that you need a stronger disk subsystem.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply