Backup strategy

• Hi List,

I just setup SQL 2008 Failover cluster on windows 2008 Failover cluster. Following this I am going to prepare backup strategy for the databases. I have checked around for papers and documentations regarding backup strategy in Failover cluster environment. However, I could not find any helpful materials.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone can give me a hint on backup strategy that I can implement in a failover cluster environment. I would appreciate if there are papers which discuss about the strategies.

Also I appreciate if anyone can share experience on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your hint.

Kind regards

Niyala

• Same as backup strategies for a non-clustered setup. Clustering does not change how, when and why you would back databases up.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks a lot.

So this means that if I create a backup job schedule on one of the nodes, this would be sufficient? Would the job failover in case of failover?

Regards

Niyala

• SQL server and SQL agent are both cluster-aware services. Jobs are stored in a SQL Server database, in msdb.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you very much indeed. I'll start in our lab.

Kind regards

Niyala

• I use Backup Exec 2010 with the SQL Server agent and I point it at the cluster virtual server (not the actual node).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply