Backup_Restore

• I have to do backups of production database and restore them on the backup server.

The database should be updated from backups every 20-30 miniets and this database on the backup server should be operational.

How is it possible to do? There are a lot of problems:

1.I can’t run backup if the database is in use.(Operational???)

2. I load full backup(from Sunday) and every 20-30 miniets ( till the next full backup) I have to restore on backup server Transaction LOG backups. To be able to load Transaction LOG backups I have to specify WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY for all but the final step. It means that nobody will not be able to work with this database.

• Sounds like you want to use replication, probably log shipping.

• 1. Why not? SQL Server BACKUP commands are designed to do backups while the database is in use. My database is 24/7 and I run full backups once a day, a differential once a day and a transaction log backup 6 times a day and don't impact the users.

2. I suggest looking at the Books OnLine and checking out Replication. You can do transactional replication and that should meet your requirements. I believe another option might be LOG SHIPPING. I don't do either one so you'll have to check it out yourself.

Books OnLine = SQL Server Help = Start>Programs>Microsoft SQL Server>Books OnLine.

-SQLBill

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply