backup/copy standby/read-only database

• I am trying to copy or backup a sql 2005 database which is in standby/read-only mode. I want these databases on a different instance running on sql server 2008.

I am getting the following error if I try to back it up..Whats the solution for this?

Msg 3036, Level 16, State 4, Line 1

The database "Credit" is in warm-standby state (set by executing RESTORE WITH STANDBY) and cannot be backed up until the entire restore sequence is completed.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

• the database needs to be online for it to be backed up, so you will have to backup from your primary node, not your secondary

take it this is in a logshipping envrionment?

the only way would be to recover the db, back it up and then reconfigure logshipping

• I don't think this is in log shipping...

I checked the DB properties and didn't find it to be in log shipping..

• You can't back up a database that is in StandBy/Readonly. why is it in that state?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I got a different backup file and when I try to restore it, I am getting the following error:

'E:\MSSQL\Transaction.bak' is claimed by 'contract'(3) and 'contracts'(1). The WITH MOVE clause can be used to relocate one or more files.

How do I restore the backup file now?

• take a look at the restore database commands in BOL or google it will detail how to use with move and replace etc

the problem is your trying to restore a database to files which are already in use by an existing databases

• But I am trying to restore the database on an entirely different server?

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb326318.aspx

Possible Causes

Another database is already using the file name.

Are you sure that the files dont already exist?

How are you doing the restore via T-SQL script or the wizard?

• Benki Chendu (3/21/2012)

But I am trying to restore the database on an entirely different server?

This doesnt mean the files dont already exist, especially if the database has been restored there previously

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply